My Favorite Book: The Outsider by S.E. Hinton

go.harper10
The book that opened my eyes to a different type of social world is The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. In books, the so called bad guys are the dirty, poor, and troublesome people. The Outsiders put a different spin on it. S.E. Hinton puts the bad guys or the “greasers” in the book, as not such bad guys at all. Granted that the greasers weren’t perfect, but they did what the average teenager between 13 and 17 does, and that is be loud and rambunctious with their friends. In my eyes the real bad guys in the book were the “socs,” short for socials. The socs were a gang of rich, well brought up kids that had a rebellious idea of life. When the socs jump the main character in the book named Ponyboy, and threatened to kill him by slitting his throat. Just before, Ponyboy gets rescued by his two older brothers Sodapop and Darrel (goes by Darry), aswell as Johnny, Dallas (goes by Dally), Steve, and Two-bit. The greasers fight of their rivals and throughout the book there is an endless amount of fighting, more than once about girls. In the end of the book, Ponyboy and Johnny plan to run away but while driving decide not to, as they are turning around they notice a building on fire, they run in and rescue a handful of children but get knocked unconscious, a socs named Bob gets murdered and Ponyboy takes the blame, and Dally falls into a downward spiral and robs a store, but while fleeing he is shot to death by the police, with all the deaths the war between the two gangs are put on hold. This book really opened my eyes to not only one big idea but many. A few being sometimes people are perceived as the antagonists but are really a bunch of guys being teenagers, granted some people in the gangs are legally adults. It also really teaches you the effects of being in a gang, and how it’s just not worth it. It really sends a message to kids of all ages to be aware of your surroundings at all times. One of the most important messages, if not the most important, is that both the bad guys and the good guys make good and bad decisions, and some of which have consequences. To summarize, getting into the wrong crowds is a bad idea and have deadly effects.