My Favorite Book 'TTYL' by Lauren Myracle Taught Me About Friendship

Lifexlove
TTYL. TTFN. L8R, G8R. You may have seen these acronyms written at the end of a text to end a conversation. I know them as the title of three amazing books that changed my perspective on friendship as I knew it. But the first book in the trilogy, ‘TTYL’, made the biggest impression on me. ‘TTYL’ introduced me during the summer one year to Angela, Maddie and Zoey, three friends who would go to the ends of the Earth for each other. They would look out for each other, support each other, and pick each other up when the other was down. I had never had a friend that would get me a Christmas present with their own money! At the time, friends to me were people who kept you company during lunch time and that’s it. There was no ‘hey, let’s all come over to my house later,’ or ‘hey, I’m having a party and you’re invited!’
After finishing ‘TTYL’ (which I read in a day, no lie), I sat back and wondered: how could Angela and Zoey still press and try to help Maddie when she clearly didn’t want their help? It was baffling to me how two people who only knew each other for two or three years could be closer than sisters to the point to where when one was hurt, the other two couldn’t possibly feel happy, no matter what. It was then that I realized that (I know this sounds incredibly cheesy) friends were more than people who just ate with you during lunch. Friends were people who supported you through thick and thin, who discussed the tough things you couldn’t turn to family about. Friends were the family members you didn’t share blood with.
Comment by SOFLarchive

Nice essay.
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 10:36:52 PM
Comment by Lifexlove

Thank you (sorry about the late reply).
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2012 2:45:20 PM