STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Favorite Book: Emond’s “Happy Face” with tears

EnglishStudent
Favorite Book: Emond’s “Happy Face” with tears

Happy Face by Stephen Emond has taught me so much more than my parents could. It is a particularly easy read with pictures but not everything has to be dense for one to feel the words on the page come alive. The story is about an average teenager struggling through high school and a new town. He constantly smiles no matter his actual feelings. I enjoyed this book and encourage many others to read it as well because of its meaningful and genuine nature. Happy Face by Emond has changed everything in my life.

I first read it in eighth grade, but I keep coming back to it. The first time I read it there was no memorial effect but everyctime when someone would ask me what “good book” was out, Happy Face always came to my mind. At first, I was pretty jealous of the main character (known only as Happyface) because he was so selfless. He did everything in his power to not show anyone his true feelings believing that it would be only a nuisance to them. Later I felt sad, how hard would it be to keep everything inside not allowing others to help because of a possible troublesome outcome. He was probably scared and petrified that he might only hurt himself more if he confessed his feelings and were denied.

I understand clearly that this is fictional, but it has made me more aware of reality. A similar situation could be happening with my friends and I have been ignorant to it. But no more. I will stop this ignorance inside of me! I am aware of it now and will change! My life has altered and transformed into a wonderful place with outside awareness and less egotism. I used to think that I had a right to do what ever I wanted but I don’t. Happyface was a pretty intelligent teenager. He knew not to be selfish and to think of others, which I have had a real tough time with. I can do great things with him as a role model.

Even in fantasy, people aren’t perfect. Happyface had some real problems. He should have told someone his tribulations, even if it did damage someone else. I think the greatest thing I’ve learned from reading Edmon’s book is that self-sacrifice is excellent, but overall ones own mental and physical fitness is most important. The reader learns all about the outcomes of loosing your own well-being for someone else. In that way, we should remember and always think of others, but in the same way, not to be careless of our own human condition.

I have learned valuable lessons from this nameless imaginary character. I have gained knowledge and grown from a book! Over the countless times I have read Happy Face, I discover new things, and change my perception on the world every time. Truly this is the most inspirational book I have ever read.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy