My Favorite Book: "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" and my First Fight with a Dragon

Swimmerwrites
“Oh my god,”I screeched using my limited vocabulary to justify the passionate emotions overcoming me. I had just seen my first dragon. That is an understatement. I had not just seen a dragon. I had fought a dragon on the pages of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
It was not the first dragon I had seen. Prior to the Harry Potter novels small dragons trudged around in the imaginative back burner of my mind, never validating them as actual threats. Their skin shinned with a plastic material and their roars seemed to come from an audio tape. Their empty eyes conveyed no emotions as they sputtered out fire un-energetically. The Hungarian Horntail’s high pitched shriek had boomed into my life. It possessed the furfuraceous skin of a snake, but it had monstrous legs and repellent wings. The crown of its head and its disproportional tail were adorned with misplaced spikes. I never made an attempt to look into its eyes as it charged at me full of life and a passion for dinner.
Before J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series I could never believe in the vivacious fantasy novels my friends rambled about. Inaccurate depictions of human relationships caused me to flee from that genre to the televisions, due to the novelty of the pictures it spewed at my small brain. The writing and relationships in that book sparked me to read on. I tore through a variety of things. Examining the meaning of love in Jane Austen’s timeless “Pride and Prejudice” and screaming at the wrong decisions Luce makes in Lauren Kate’s “Fallen”, I glided through the new stories. At least once a year I revisited the fallen dragon in J.K. Rowling’s “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire”.
After multiple reads, the plot flew by. Slowly I learned to pick apart the writing. Examining the friendships made and enemies acquired by the young Harry Potter. J.K. Rowling’s writing struck me, it’s delicate weaving of the plot combined with its timeless use of foreshadowing became more obvious after every read. Her ability to twist reality inspired me to try writing. At first I gently waded into short stories, but after reading the series for the fifth time I was sent into an animated frenzy. My new goal was to flip into the novel writing end of the pool.
The Harry Potter books were the spark of light that launched my passionate interest in writing and gave me the ability to warp reality into a vivid epic of the present. Slowly, I have begun to widen my writing horizons. Playing with the concepts of time and space, I write daily in hopes of creating my own story. Every day as I write I dream of illuminating a reader’s mind. Hoping that someday I will help a child defeat a dragon.