STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: "Tuesday with Morrie" by Mitch Albom

SeJung Violet Park
Title: Tuesday with Morrie Author: Mitch Albom
(Letter to the character)
Dear Morris Schwartz,
Hello, Morrie! How are you? My name is Violet Park. I’m one of the readers who read a book about you. It’s called the Tuesday with Morrie. May I call you a coach, like Mitch Albom called you? I feel really thankful to your student, Mitch Albom for introducing you to people around the world including me. Even though I never met you or talk to you personally, I felt like you are my teacher, who sets a good example for me to look up. You are like a role model to me.
Your death sentence came in the summer of 1994. How did you felt in that moment when the doctor told you that you were going to die soon? If I were you, I would be so sad and cry all days. However, you were different form other people. Instead of crying and feel sorry for yourself, you became a lightning rod of ideas and became much more interested about people, and their relationships.
I was so surprised when you told Mitch that since everyone is going to die, you decided to make a death project. Your death project included death, fear, aging, greed, marriage, family, society, forgiveness and a meaning of life. Every Tuesday, you and Mitch had lessons about each of the subjects. Out of all lessons, I enjoyed lesson #1(Death), #5(Family), #7(Forgiveness) and #8 (a meaningful life). Your wife, Charlotte was always there for you and supported you with love and care. I realized the importance of family and learned to love people better. Like the great poet, Auden said,” Love each other or perish,” I learned to forgive people and became more mature as a person. Like you believed, I also learned to believe that being second is not bad, because you always have goals to try harder next time, eventually become the first at the end.
I have always wondered about what it would feel like to be dead and why people die. When I think of dying, it makes me miserable. However, after getting to know more about death, I’m less fearful about death, I’m not happy, but I realized death is a part of life. People are born and eventually we face death. One significant saying that I remember is that death ends a life but not the relationship between people. You really taught me a lot. You always told Mitch that, “When you learn to die, you learn to live.” I don’t fully understand the meaning now, but when I get old and learn more from my mistakes, I will probably know what it means. I will always remember your lesson and take it to my heart. Thank you, Morrie…
Sincerely, Violet Park
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy