STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: “The Last Lecture” by Randy Pausch reminded me of the ticking clock

DianaHla
My Favorite Book: “The Last Lecture” by Randy Pausch
reminded me of the ticking clock

I am young. When you are young, just starting high school, your grades, social life, and passions are the only things that really matter to you. Only the immediate future really matters. The Last Lecture, an autobiography by Randy Pausch, knocked me out of this reverie. Randy Pausch was a professor at Carnegie Mellon with a wife and three young children when he was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. I have read and reread it; it is like a handbook for life, full of otherwise cheesy advice. While this book taught me a lot about dreams and persistence, the author’s death sentence and what he says about it reached past the text and hit home. It made me think beyond my world of school. It reminded me that death looms closer every day. It reminded me that time is finite and precious. It reminded me that I cannot waste time being angry about little frivolous things. To be frank, my dad and mom are getting old, and I have realized that it can happen any day, even if we do not get an extra warning like Randy Pausch did. This sudden revelation startled me and forced me to look at all of our daily interactions in a different light. Every day, every hug, every smile, and every word might be our last. My loved ones will be gone one day, no matter how much I cry or pray. Now, I take more care to fill every moment I have with my parents with love and happiness. My parents and I fight less and smile and laugh more. I appreciate my parents’ help and concerns, and I try to always thank them for everything they do for me. My little brother gets his way more of the time when it will not harm him, as one day he will have only my shoulder to cry on. This mindset has spilled into my actions outside of the house; I try to fill every second with happiness and be thankful for everything my friends, teachers, and coaches do for me. Because of this book, I have become a better daughter, sister, friend, student, and athlete. This book has made me remember that the clock is ticking, that one day, my parents will be gone, and I will be out on my own swimming in the ocean of life, armed only with my memories of love and joyous times.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy