My Favorite Book: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" by Doulgas Adams

MissAlacrity
Interesting choice, I know. After all, that somewhat cult sci-fi series's about tea and aliens and the end of the world is nothing more than a comedic little story, right? Perhaps. But to me, there is something particularly inspiring about comedy. It's simply tragedy with better timing, after all.
I first became acquainted with Hitchhikers one St. Patricks Day ago, when it was given to me as a gift from my mother. I was about thirteen at the time, and I devoured the series while, immersed by Adam's strange calculatory wit and snarky characters. I was, in a word, hooked.
On reason I think it appealed to me so was because, essentially, I was Arthur Dent, the main protagonist of the series. I was always somewhat of a loner, preferring writing and reading to television or shopping, the pastimes of most other girls my age. I was a shy, borderline antisocial outcast among seas of ditzy populars, and the loneliness that accompanied such social banishment was almost unavoidable.
Reading Hitchhikers, however, I had this sense of kinship with both the characters and, on a larger scale, the author, I sympathized with the socially awkward Arthur and marveled at his adventures through the Universe. I envied his extraterrestrial companion Ford, whose quirky loner personality closely mirrored my own. Douglas Adams' stories of people who didn't fit into conventional society made me realize that though I was different, there was absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, it made me special.
A few years later, on my first day of eighth grade, I was petrified, but determined. I clutched my dog-eared treasury like a teddy bear, telling myself I was worth a great year.
At first, I was barely given a second glance, and I felt myself lose hope. Then, during seventh period, I found a seat next to a blonde-haired girl, reading a book and off on her world. As the class began, she leaned over and asked my name, introducing herself as Amanda. I nervously gave my own, and she cheerfully replied, "Whoa, that's sweet. Is it Scottish or something?"
We continued to talk, and I learned Amanda had many of the same interests as I did, such as writing, drawing, and acting. Then, she made a remark about the meaning of life, and I responded with an offhand Hitchhikers reference, not expecting anything. The minute I said it her eyes went wide, and she pulled out the book she had been reading- a duplicate of the treasury in my own backpack, just as worn and loved.
Amanda became one of my closest friends, and I met many others from her that shared my rather different approach on life and accepted me for it. I don't know if it's fair to say Hitchhikers brought us all together, but that's what I like to think. It's helped me to find other aliens off in search of their own companions, and truly, that is the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything.