STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" by Doulgas Adams

MissAlacrity
Interesting choice, I know. After all, that somewhat cult sci-fi series's about tea and aliens and the end of the world is nothing more than a comedic little story, right? Perhaps. But to me, there is something particularly inspiring about comedy. It's simply tragedy with better timing, after all.
I first became acquainted with Hitchhikers one St. Patricks Day ago, when it was given to me as a gift from my mother. I was about thirteen at the time, and I devoured the series while, immersed by Adam's strange calculatory wit and snarky characters. I was, in a word, hooked.
On reason I think it appealed to me so was because, essentially, I was Arthur Dent, the main protagonist of the series. I was always somewhat of a loner, preferring writing and reading to television or shopping, the pastimes of most other girls my age. I was a shy, borderline antisocial outcast among seas of ditzy populars, and the loneliness that accompanied such social banishment was almost unavoidable.
Reading Hitchhikers, however, I had this sense of kinship with both the characters and, on a larger scale, the author, I sympathized with the socially awkward Arthur and marveled at his adventures through the Universe. I envied his extraterrestrial companion Ford, whose quirky loner personality closely mirrored my own. Douglas Adams' stories of people who didn't fit into conventional society made me realize that though I was different, there was absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, it made me special.
A few years later, on my first day of eighth grade, I was petrified, but determined. I clutched my dog-eared treasury like a teddy bear, telling myself I was worth a great year.
At first, I was barely given a second glance, and I felt myself lose hope. Then, during seventh period, I found a seat next to a blonde-haired girl, reading a book and off on her world. As the class began, she leaned over and asked my name, introducing herself as Amanda. I nervously gave my own, and she cheerfully replied, "Whoa, that's sweet. Is it Scottish or something?"
We continued to talk, and I learned Amanda had many of the same interests as I did, such as writing, drawing, and acting. Then, she made a remark about the meaning of life, and I responded with an offhand Hitchhikers reference, not expecting anything. The minute I said it her eyes went wide, and she pulled out the book she had been reading- a duplicate of the treasury in my own backpack, just as worn and loved.
Amanda became one of my closest friends, and I met many others from her that shared my rather different approach on life and accepted me for it. I don't know if it's fair to say Hitchhikers brought us all together, but that's what I like to think. It's helped me to find other aliens off in search of their own companions, and truly, that is the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy