STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak

spoage
I first read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak in the summer before ninth grade. I had been expecting lame books because I was headed to a public school from a private school (my summer reading for my old school had included Homer’s Iliad…for sixth graders), but boy was I surprised.
The cover is what first caught my eye. I had been looking over the summer reading list and walking through Barnes and Nobles when I saw one of my requirements. It was titled The Book Thief and it had a line of dominoes on the front cover. I was immediately taken in. - Is it a book about a person who steals books or about dominoes? What went through the authors mind when he put on dominoes on the front? - There were so many unanswered questions, so I just had to investigate.
I bought the book and proceeded to lock myself in my room until I had finished reading it. I did not expect the first few lines-
“PROLOGUE
a mountain range of rubble
in which our narrator introduces:

himself - the colors - and the book thief”

-this was shortly followed by the first chapter which began-
“DEATH AND CHOCOLATE

First the colors.
Then the humans.
That’s usually how I see things.
Or at least, how I try.

*** HERE IS A SMALL FACT ***
You are going to die.”

Those first forty-nine words changed my life forever. They captured me and made me their own. They pulled me into a story that I will never be able to forget, no matter how much I may want to.
I have a distinct connection to the holocaust. My Grandfather fought in World War II (for the Allies) and my family is German. Though they immigrated to the US long before Hitler, I have always felt responsible for that horrible massacre. When we studied the holocaust in school, I was called Nazi (because of my blonde hair and blue eyes), and I took that to heart. I became obsessed with proving that I wasn’t what they said I was, even if they said it in jest.
This book tore into my reality, ripped out my soul and put it on display. By the end of the book, I was so choked up that I could barely breathe and my eyes were too full to read more than a sentence a minute. I ended up going through an entire tissue box.
The Book Thief was the first book that made me cry more than a single tear. It was the first “history” book that really got down to the nitty-gritty of the war. It was the first time anyone could actually be a part of the holocaust. It rivaled even The Diary of Anne Frank. I have never found, nor will I ever find, a book that matches the reality exhibited in The Book Thief.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy