STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book : “Alanna the First Adventure” by Tamora Pierce inspired me to trust myself and be independent

Pianochick
At first glance the cover of the book Alanna the First Adventure by Tamora Pierce was misleading. I looked at the book and thought that there was a pretty young boy clad in a tunic and boots standing next to his horse. After I read the first few chapters I realized that the boy was in fact the character Alanna masquerading as a male in order to become a knight. I kept reading for at least an hour. On my first read through, I was captivated by the fast-paced plot and magical elements in the story. On my second read three years later, I identified the deeper themes in the story, such as self-assurance, independence, and struggle.
At the beginning of the book I caught Alanna at a pivotal point in her life. In her world, noble-born girls like herself, would go to the convent and learn to become ladies. Boys like her brother Thom, became knights. Alanna’s father was completely oblivious to the desires of his children, their futures were seemingly final. A weak-minded character would have complied with the set path. However Alanna was no such character. The gender roles were clearly defined for her and Alanna’s future appeared determined. It would have been so simple to follow this route but she did not. Instead Alanna disguised herself as a boy and went to the palace to follow her passions to become a knight. This heavy decision was not made lightly. However, Alanna maintained an unwavering self-assurance that guided her through her endeavors and challenges.
Alanna’s confidence in all of her decisions served as a model for me. She was completely conscious of what she wanted and made possibly chaotic choices in order to achieve what she wished. Though her situation was on a much larger scale, it showed me that nothing in life was final. I was my determining factor in whatever it was I chose to do. Since I was often unsure of my choices and what I wanted, Alanna’s audacity inspired me to trust myself. She knew she could achieve her goal, it was only a matter of getting to a place that would help her to do so. Her fierce independence only solidified the goals I had set out for myself. Alanna put her ambitions before hasty decisions that would hinder her, such as marriage and children. This kind of ideology is exactly what I want to incorporate into my life.
Alanna knew from the very beginning that she was meant for greater things than that which people expected of her. For her, there was not a challenge in following the easy path.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy