STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: Wintergirls, by Laurie H. Anderson made me feel as if I’m not alone

katalexis66
I saw the deep purple binding and picked it up, the front was blank and I assumed it once had a cover. I read the spine and in silver letters Wintergirls was spelled. I put it back on the shelf and continue looking for a book. When my search comes up empty, I go back to the little purple book.
“It's not nice when girls die.”
The first six words of the novel confuse and intrigued me. Never have such few syllables had so much strength to pull me in. As I continued reading, the words of Anderson became an addiction. I couldn't stop reading. I HAD to know everything that came next, every thought inside Lia’s brain. Even worse, Anderson was the dealer. She supplied the necessary twists needed to keep me coming back for more.
I counted each and every one of Lia’s ribs, saw her hip bones jutting out like jagged cliffs and could trace the lines of the angry red scars that plagued her body. There was such detail and realism in the text. It didn't seem like fiction. I was taken into the mind and soul of the character. I felt the aches in her stomach as she starved herself, was tempted by the food and felt the razor in my skin when she gave into temptation.
I had a very personal connection to the story because I’ve struggled with very low self esteem and have gone to extremes to try to conform to society’s definition of perfection. I relate with all of the raw emotions that Lia feels in the book. It’s as if Anderson spilled out my mind onto paper.
“Must. Not. Eat. Must. Not. Eat. Must. Not. Eat. Must. Not. Eat. Must. Not. Eat. Must. Not. Eat.” (Continues for two pages)

Chills formed mountains on my arms as I read these pages. I identified the familiar struggle; your stomach wants food but your head shoots it down, then your mind tricks your heart into thinking that this is what you want. You eventually realize that your head and heart are a very lethal team.

When I read this book, it changed my life. Wintergirls is so much more to me than just a collection of pages. It has made me a stronger person, helped me fight my demons and I now feel like I’m not alone and so much more. It’s impacted me emotionally and mentally. Hundreds of tears have been shed, realizations have been made and I've stayed up many nights, terrified. Anderson has given me strength and assurance, knowing that I am not alone in my struggle and that there is always a means of getting better. I’ll end with the last few words of Wintergirls.

“There is no magic cure, no making it all go away forever. There are only small steps upward; an easier day, an unexpected laugh, a mirror that doesn't matter anymore.
I am thawing.”
Rate this:
Comment by BE THE VOICE

Great writing. Good job!
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 10:51:56 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy