Most Inspiring Book: "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky

Alloy7
November 26, 2012

Dear friend,
I am writing to you to inform you of a book that has become very dear to me. This book is about a fifteen-year-old boy named Charlie who writes letters to an anonymous receiver about his adventures in high school. This book is called The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Before I read this book, I was confused and always thought there was something wrong with me. But then I realized that what I thought was “wrong” was the very thing that made me different. And when you’re different you should never want to change.
I remember being in eighth grade thinking about what high school would be like. Not really knowing many high schoolers, I didn’t have any source to ask. I thought it could be like the one’s on TV, but nothing is every like it is on TV so it probably wasn’t. But whatever it was, I always thought I wanted to be popular. I wanted to be the one others looked to for advice or the one other people watched to see what they would do next in a non-vicious way. Then I came to here, and to my surprise I actually became popular. I know it sounds stupid, but I had never been talked about when I’m not even there, so it was exciting.
After a while I noticed I wasn’t being myself anymore. I felt like I was performing for each person. I couldn’t do what I wanted to do because other people didn’t like it. I had become multiple personalities in one body. When encountering a person, I would pull out the personality they liked best, even if I didn’t like it. Facing this dilemma, I didn’t really know what to do until I came across this book. As I read it, I began noticing how sometimes I was playing the role of the filter. I would take the book and apply it to my life. I thought that I could easily fill Charlie’s awkward shoes, but I felt that I could also fill the shoes of his bossy sister. And as I read on, I noticed that I was like his girlfriend who never stopped talking and cared only for herself.
That’s when I realized that I can’t just pretend I’m one of these characters and ignore the rest of myself. I realized that because I am me, I will be different than these characters; I don’t have to fit into an archetype. I could be me. Just because I have one similarity to one character, doesn’t mean I am them. It just means we have one thing in common. The Perks of Being A Wallflower showed me that you should always be yourself, no matter what your friends think. As it says in the book, “things change and friends leave, and life doesn’t stop for anyone”.