STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Most Inspiring Book: "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky

Alloy7
November 26, 2012

Dear friend,
I am writing to you to inform you of a book that has become very dear to me. This book is about a fifteen-year-old boy named Charlie who writes letters to an anonymous receiver about his adventures in high school. This book is called The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Before I read this book, I was confused and always thought there was something wrong with me. But then I realized that what I thought was “wrong” was the very thing that made me different. And when you’re different you should never want to change.
I remember being in eighth grade thinking about what high school would be like. Not really knowing many high schoolers, I didn’t have any source to ask. I thought it could be like the one’s on TV, but nothing is every like it is on TV so it probably wasn’t. But whatever it was, I always thought I wanted to be popular. I wanted to be the one others looked to for advice or the one other people watched to see what they would do next in a non-vicious way. Then I came to here, and to my surprise I actually became popular. I know it sounds stupid, but I had never been talked about when I’m not even there, so it was exciting.
After a while I noticed I wasn’t being myself anymore. I felt like I was performing for each person. I couldn’t do what I wanted to do because other people didn’t like it. I had become multiple personalities in one body. When encountering a person, I would pull out the personality they liked best, even if I didn’t like it. Facing this dilemma, I didn’t really know what to do until I came across this book. As I read it, I began noticing how sometimes I was playing the role of the filter. I would take the book and apply it to my life. I thought that I could easily fill Charlie’s awkward shoes, but I felt that I could also fill the shoes of his bossy sister. And as I read on, I noticed that I was like his girlfriend who never stopped talking and cared only for herself.
That’s when I realized that I can’t just pretend I’m one of these characters and ignore the rest of myself. I realized that because I am me, I will be different than these characters; I don’t have to fit into an archetype. I could be me. Just because I have one similarity to one character, doesn’t mean I am them. It just means we have one thing in common. The Perks of Being A Wallflower showed me that you should always be yourself, no matter what your friends think. As it says in the book, “things change and friends leave, and life doesn’t stop for anyone”.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy