STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls

Awallen
When I was in third grade I liked to read, but I never did pick out books from the library that I enjoyed. So one day I asked my counselour to help me pick out a book. Being in third grade she wasn't very sure of my ability to read, but I convinced her I could read very well for an 8 year old. She recommended "Where the Red Fern Grows".
At first I wasn't very sure, due to how think and how tiny the print was, but I checked it out anyway. I took it home and got my mom to sit down on the couch and read it with me. I struggled to read the big words in the book, but after I got past those obstacles I began to like the book a lot. I was so amazed at how much the boy loved his dogs, and how he went through all that trouble just to earn the money to buy them, and even through the huge obstacle of travelling through the mountians to pick them up, and get them home. I was so into the book. I loved it.
Then there was the afternoon I sat on the couch with my mom almost done with the book. We had just gotten to the part where they see the mountain lion, and it attacks them and Big Dan and Little Ann protects the boy. I started to cry, but kept on reading. Then we hit the part where Big Dan died, and Little Ann went into depression. I grabbed my mom and cried a little more. Then Little Ann died. I lost it. I started bawling and crying and my mom and I had to quit reading, because I couldn't stop crying. The next day we finished the book, and I laid there with my mom on the couch and cried for a couple hours. I was so amazed by how much they loved each other and how the Red Fern had grown in between their graves.
I was only in third grade, and understood everything that had happened in that book. That was the first book that made me cry, and the first book that made me want to finish every book I opened.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy