My Favorite Book: "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls

Awallen
When I was in third grade I liked to read, but I never did pick out books from the library that I enjoyed. So one day I asked my counselour to help me pick out a book. Being in third grade she wasn't very sure of my ability to read, but I convinced her I could read very well for an 8 year old. She recommended "Where the Red Fern Grows".
At first I wasn't very sure, due to how think and how tiny the print was, but I checked it out anyway. I took it home and got my mom to sit down on the couch and read it with me. I struggled to read the big words in the book, but after I got past those obstacles I began to like the book a lot. I was so amazed at how much the boy loved his dogs, and how he went through all that trouble just to earn the money to buy them, and even through the huge obstacle of travelling through the mountians to pick them up, and get them home. I was so into the book. I loved it.
Then there was the afternoon I sat on the couch with my mom almost done with the book. We had just gotten to the part where they see the mountain lion, and it attacks them and Big Dan and Little Ann protects the boy. I started to cry, but kept on reading. Then we hit the part where Big Dan died, and Little Ann went into depression. I grabbed my mom and cried a little more. Then Little Ann died. I lost it. I started bawling and crying and my mom and I had to quit reading, because I couldn't stop crying. The next day we finished the book, and I laid there with my mom on the couch and cried for a couple hours. I was so amazed by how much they loved each other and how the Red Fern had grown in between their graves.
I was only in third grade, and understood everything that had happened in that book. That was the first book that made me cry, and the first book that made me want to finish every book I opened.