My Favorite Book: “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins. Dynamite comes in small packages.

SummerBurke00
"May the odds be ever in your favor," -Effie Trinket (in Suzanne Collins' The Hunger games.) Within the hit series The Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen is drawn to fight to the death in an event hosted by the evil capitol called, "the hunger games." The odds however, are not in her favor. She is smaller and weaker than the twenty three other contestants and will either have to kill her new infatuation, Peeta Mellark, or die herself. Although it is not likely, Katniss is determined to work harder than any other tribute to make it back home to her family. Against all odds, Katniss wins the games but refuses to kill the last tribute standing, Peeta. This one action to defy the Capitol begins a rebellion throughout the districts. Because of one girl, the capitol is defeated and the nation is set free.
I attend a small school with less than thirty five students in my class. I am an athlete and participate in varsity basketball, volleyball, and track. In each sport, my team competes against schools with classes of seven hundred students and more. Needless to say, the odds are rarely in our favor. The Hunger Games inspired me that I can accomplish anything no matter how small I may be. Similar to Katniss, my team is overlooked and weaker than most opposing teams. Through hard work, my small team can overcome bigger and stronger teams much the same as Katniss. If Katniss' actions can cause an uproar throughout an entire country, my actions can lead my team to victory.
I could read this series over and over again. I read all three books within one week; I was hungry for The Hunger Games. The series completely changed my mental outlook. My perspective of "being small" was altered from a weak excuse to a motivation to work even harder. Soon after reading this series, my volleyball team advanced to the semifinals of the regional tournament beating multiple teams ten times our size. Fight the odds, even if they're not in your favor.