My Favorite Book: "Warriors Don't Cry" by Melba Pattillo

Synieshiea
Synieshiea Beasley
10.13.12
Warriors Don’t Cry

Can you imagine your whole view of the world changing after reading just one little book? Well it did for me! Reading Warriors Don’t Cry changed my whole insight on what I thought I knew about racism. I didn’t know much nevertheless, this book has helped me understand it a little better. Reading it once was a glimpse of the past and understanding how dirty Caucasian people treated a young girl, Melba Pattillo, as well as eight other African Americans, can be. Reading it twice gave me understanding on how serious the situation was. Watching a movie in my head of her life and experiences. I couldn’t help but sit there, watch and do nothing about it. However, reading it a third time, I actually lived what she went through. I felt everything she felt, read her mind and had the exact same thoughts. Teary eyed and wounded, I sat on my bed reading this book thinking of our lives and how different they were, then again, not too different from her situation. Racism is very alive today and it takes a true warrior to suffer what Melba Pattillo has experienced and move on from it.

1957, Little Rock was a hard place for and African American teenage girl, Melba Pattillo to live. She along with eight other students from her community volunteered to be one of the first African American students to integrate the all-white high school, Central. She hoped to show white students that blacks were their equals; however, she hadn’t known she would soon be entering a battle for survival. ¬
Once inside of Central her worst of nightmares had finally begun. Although Melba had been assigned a bodyguard, terrible things had still happened to her. She stood against verbal abuse as well as physical abuse that ended in scars on her body and face.
Through the entire experience, Melba learned to have courage and patience. Her inspirational story is one-of-a-kind and opened my eyes to the extreme hardships that African-Americans have faced to get where they are today. Without warriors like Melba and the other Little Rock Nine, segregation might still exist in the world today. From her story I experienced with her, the first time I read it, I tried to understand why she would put herself through such harassment and why the Caucasian students and adults would do this to another human being. Her and her eight friends only wanted to attend Central to better their education. Who knew finishing a year of high school would be such a horrendous adventure?
I feel like I live in a world full of opportunities, possibilities all around me, it’s up to me to open the door to them though. I truly love this story; it inspires me to not let anyone of any race stop me from reaching my goal(s). I know that if I keep my head high and have patience I can achieve anything I put my heart to.