STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by J.K. Rowling

TaylarMouton
The book that inspired me the most was J.K Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows. This book inspired me to become a writer when I was in fifth grade. That summer, I spent my days locked up in my room reading the fifth, sixth, and seventh book of the Harry Potter series. By the end of the final book, I had laughed, cried, screamed in anger, and longed for a love like Harry and Jenny’s. I also couldn’t wait for the rest of the movies so I could see it all play out on the big screen.
From that point on, I’ve wanted to be able to do what J.K. did. I’ve wanted to be able to bend and twist words around to create an image, a picture of someone’s life. I’ve wanted to write things that take people somewhere else since then. I was so dazzled by the world of Hogwarts and the battle between good and evil that I started to dream. There was on dream in particular that got me starting my first story.
In my dream, an evil king had taken a friend of mine and with my magical powers I managed to defeat the king and got my friend back. In many respects it was like Harry’s final showdown with Voldemort. This dream and my love for Harry Potter’s world sparked me to write my first ever story. It was seventy hand-written pages. Without stopping for a breath, I wrote the next one. I wrote a total of three stories within a year. I looked back on J.K.’s world to mine to make sure I was writing it right.
By the time the final movies came out, I realized that I could never be as great as J.K. Rowling. At this point, some people would hang up the pad and pencil. I decided to plunder on and work towards her high caliber, knowing that it would take me years to even come within reach of it. Since then, I’ve started and hardly finished many ideas. My writing’s evolved from magical powers to fairies tricking seemingly normal humans to vampires stealing away in the night. Each time I wrote something though, Harry’s beautiful journey to fight off evil and find himself played in the back of my head. It made it hard to keep going sometimes.
When the final movie had come out, I’d written many stories and none of them seemed good enough. I went to the theatre and saw the movie and it made me realize something else. The reason J.K.’s books and movies were so powerful and iconic was because she had created something new. She had written something that had never been written for. In that moment I realized the reason I had been all over the place with my writing was because I was trying to something that had been done before. Again, she had inspired me. This time though, she inspired me to be different, just like Harry Potter was. [/color][/size][/size][/size]
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy