STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: “The Da Vinci Code” by Dan Brown questioned my Catholicism

EmmaLu
“Our Father, Who art in heaven, Hallowed be Thy Name...” I mumbled out the monotonous words, as I had done the Sunday before, and the Sunday before that, and for every Sunday as long as I could remember. The Lord’s Prayer had become second nature to me. It was like tying my shoe or riding a bike. Sunday after Sunday, my family and I traveled to St. Raphael’s Catholic Church for mass. I never questioned or complained (at least not out loud) for it was routine. It was not until a particular novel, “The Da Vinci Code” by Dan Brown that I contemplated my true intentions as to why I was Catholic. Not my parents or grandparents choices, but mine.
From start to finish, I raced through the pages of “The Da Vinci Code” like the book itself was on fire looking for answers and curious as to what I would find. According to the novel, the Catholic Church allegedly covered up one of the biggest secrets in the history of the world, Jesus Christ was married and had a child. For days after I finished, I scoured through pages on Google, articles in the World Book of Encyclopedias, and the Bible itself to find out more about Mary Magdalene. The information I did discover, lead me to lean more on believing the side of fiction rather than fact, but why couldn’t it be true and more importantly why is it bad?
Questions like these danced through my thoughts for weeks afterwards until I confronted my parents. Although they do not believe Mary Magdalene is the wife of Christ, I found out that they do question some beliefs of the Catholic Church and that that is okay. I also researched with them more about other religions especially my great grandmother’s who was Methodist. While I am still planning to get confirmed, thanks to Dan Brown’s revelation I have made my church experience more about me and my beliefs and less about habits and routines. According to my parents, going into college is when I am allowed to decide what religion I follow. Who knows, I might not be saying the Our Father every Sunday after all?
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy