My Favorite Book: “The Da Vinci Code” by Dan Brown questioned my Catholicism

EmmaLu
“Our Father, Who art in heaven, Hallowed be Thy Name...” I mumbled out the monotonous words, as I had done the Sunday before, and the Sunday before that, and for every Sunday as long as I could remember. The Lord’s Prayer had become second nature to me. It was like tying my shoe or riding a bike. Sunday after Sunday, my family and I traveled to St. Raphael’s Catholic Church for mass. I never questioned or complained (at least not out loud) for it was routine. It was not until a particular novel, “The Da Vinci Code” by Dan Brown that I contemplated my true intentions as to why I was Catholic. Not my parents or grandparents choices, but mine.
From start to finish, I raced through the pages of “The Da Vinci Code” like the book itself was on fire looking for answers and curious as to what I would find. According to the novel, the Catholic Church allegedly covered up one of the biggest secrets in the history of the world, Jesus Christ was married and had a child. For days after I finished, I scoured through pages on Google, articles in the World Book of Encyclopedias, and the Bible itself to find out more about Mary Magdalene. The information I did discover, lead me to lean more on believing the side of fiction rather than fact, but why couldn’t it be true and more importantly why is it bad?
Questions like these danced through my thoughts for weeks afterwards until I confronted my parents. Although they do not believe Mary Magdalene is the wife of Christ, I found out that they do question some beliefs of the Catholic Church and that that is okay. I also researched with them more about other religions especially my great grandmother’s who was Methodist. While I am still planning to get confirmed, thanks to Dan Brown’s revelation I have made my church experience more about me and my beliefs and less about habits and routines. According to my parents, going into college is when I am allowed to decide what religion I follow. Who knows, I might not be saying the Our Father every Sunday after all?