STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: "Blueprints for Building Better Girls" thrust me into feminism

NCpollyCA
The day I stepped into the world of feminism was the day I shoved my nose into Elissa Scahppell’s “Blueprints for Building Better Girls”. The first words sent me on a roller coaster and made my hair fly around my face in a storm of emotion. My heart felt as if it might explode from my chest and walk down on the tracks on its own two feet. With her words Scahppell invoked new thoughts and feelings in me, which I had not previously considered.

By taking archetypal roles of woman and flipping the perspective to inside the woman’s head, Schappell opens a whole new world to the reader. She tackles every role from the teenage slut to the struggling middle-aged mother in Blueprints. This portrayal of real world women struck me as I was reading, for I was able to draw parallels between Schappell’s characters and the women I knew in my own life.

When she introduced Heather in the first story I felt as if I was meeting G. from my sophomore civics class. The attitude and reputation of the character were the same as that of G. When Heather draws on herself, I cannot help but think of the day G. came into class with pen swirls all over the back of her hand.

Then comes the character of Ms. Sanburg and I suddenly am staring at a carbon copy of my psychology teacher, a hippie who stands up for human rights. Everything from the description of Ms. Sandburg’s clothing and hair to the VW bug with bumper sticker slogans slathered across its bumper reminds me of my own teacher.

I had to put the book down and peek out the window to make sure that Scahppell did not have binoculars trained on my room. These women were the women of my life. When Kate and Douglas pop on to the page I find myself biting back tears and stroking the words with a finger as if Kate’s face were there. She reminds me of my favorite aunt who like Kate is unable to have children. The tears and words said are the same in both the fictitious and real-life story.

The people Schappell creates are just fictional bodies in which we can place women we know from our own lives. The different issues she touches upon such as barren womb syndrome and rape are strikingly prominent in the lives of many women in today’s world. Schappell did not create a world in her novel; instead she gave our world a stage and put me in the front row to watch the show.
Rate this:
Comment by michness

Try "Full Frontal Feminism" by Jessica Valenti. After that, there's no turning back from the feminist machine. Welcome ;)
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:21:42 AM
Rate this:
Comment by NCpollyCA

Thank you! I definitely will! And thanks ;)
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 2:58:29 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy