My Favorite Book: “The Fault in Our Stars” by John Green helped me learn to move on

artysgirl
The Fault in Our Stars is a simple story that envelopes almost every human emotion: from the pain of Hazel Grace’s constant battle against cancer, to the joy she shares with Augustus Waters, to the grief she feels after his untimely passing. This book doesn’t make you think, “Wow, I feel horribly guilty for ever feeling sorry for myself compared to these poor souls.” The thing about John Green is that he can find the light and humor in the darkest of places.
I have had my heart broken, shattered, torn apart, and left to dry. I know what it feels like to lose someone you trusted to stick around. I know the feeling of really crying, huge heaving sobs that leave you even emptier than you were before. I even know what it feels like to continue being sad, to the point where you are lost in a haze of depression that spreads out from you like thick, gray fog.
Hazel Grace loved Augustus Waters, and he loved her. Maybe they were able to love at such a young age because they knew they didn’t have a lot of time left, despite their youth. They valued every second of joy, of anger, or even despair, because feeling is what makes us human, what lets us know that we’re alive. John Green’s piece reminds us that time is fleeting, and we have to embrace every moment. Beyond that, though, he divulges into human sorrow, in how hard it is to move on from something that made you so happy, and then just disappeared. It’s not easy to get over somebody that made you happy and made you feel loved, whether they died or just left. Sometimes, I wish that the people who left me had died, because then I wouldn’t have to see them and be reminded of everything they made me feel when I was with them.
Then I remember how mysterious, wonderful, and irretrievable life is. I realize that even though things don’t always work out the way you planned, you have to look back on the memories you made and smile, not cry. Hazel Grace knows the Universe doesn’t always make sense. And sometimes it makes you so angry. You want to scream and cry and thrash around because it’s just not fair that you have to feel this way. But, in the long run, you have to move on. You have to look at the person who’s hurting you, and smile. John Green taught me that. Reading his work helped me so much, to focus on myself as a person and become stronger. I did eventually get over that person and that wrecked relationship. Even though I sometimes find myself lost in what seems like an infinity of despair, I just open up The Fault in Our Stars and keep reading, because infinities of joy are bigger than infinities of sadness.