My Favorite Book: "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls inspired me to one day be the insp

Gattorina36@hotmail.com
A book isn’t a few hundred pages of words, or a pretty cover. It’s a wisely knitted string of words that make you press pause on your own life, and ’play’ on the life of someone else. But a good book isn’t just a blanket of words, its emotions makes your toes curl, your teeth chatter and your heart flutter. Even so, the very best of books are the ones that don’t describe; but inspire. This is why, the very best book I’ve ever read is “The Glass Castle; A memoir” by Jeannette Walls. This book holds the memories of Jeannette nomadic childhood and how her and her two siblings survived with their moody mother and there alcoholic father. Every chapter Jeannette walls reflects without a hint of hatred or love; she seems to feel no strong emotion. Though, you as the reader are ready to rip up the book and throw it away. Not because it’s poorly written, but because you hate her father so much, it breaks your heart. I once believed alcoholics don’t love anything but alcohol; I’ve learned this to be untrue. Jeannette walls’ father, Rex Walls, always loved his children, but he loved himself more. This realization took me until the very end of the book to discover, but I believe Jeannette had known this from the very start of the memoir. It begins when three year old Jeannette gets badly burned while trying to cook herself some hotdogs for lunch. By the fourth page the need to scoop little Jeannette out of the memoir and hug her and heal her is unbearable. This feeling didn’t go away until close to the second half of the memoir, when you realize Jeannette walls is too tough for a simple hug to heal her. Jeannette never complains or cries about her broken childhood but this didn’t stop me from crying. This little girl grows up in a dysfunctional family, climbs out of the hole of nothing her parents already dug her in and becomes a successful journalist, only then to become a successful author as well. I don’t come from a dysfunctional family and I don’t have a very complicated life. I’ve never been bullied or been at the top of the popularity food chain, but like everyone I have small problems. Many people won’t agree, but I believe Jeannette Walls tells her story, not just to share her memories but to inspire. Inspire you to climb out of your hole, no matter who dug it for you, or how deep it appears and be something great. The story whispers in your ears and tells you not to be inspired but the inspiration.