STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls inspired me to one day be the insp

Gattorina36@hotmail.com
A book isn’t a few hundred pages of words, or a pretty cover. It’s a wisely knitted string of words that make you press pause on your own life, and ’play’ on the life of someone else. But a good book isn’t just a blanket of words, its emotions makes your toes curl, your teeth chatter and your heart flutter. Even so, the very best of books are the ones that don’t describe; but inspire. This is why, the very best book I’ve ever read is “The Glass Castle; A memoir” by Jeannette Walls. This book holds the memories of Jeannette nomadic childhood and how her and her two siblings survived with their moody mother and there alcoholic father. Every chapter Jeannette walls reflects without a hint of hatred or love; she seems to feel no strong emotion. Though, you as the reader are ready to rip up the book and throw it away. Not because it’s poorly written, but because you hate her father so much, it breaks your heart. I once believed alcoholics don’t love anything but alcohol; I’ve learned this to be untrue. Jeannette walls’ father, Rex Walls, always loved his children, but he loved himself more. This realization took me until the very end of the book to discover, but I believe Jeannette had known this from the very start of the memoir. It begins when three year old Jeannette gets badly burned while trying to cook herself some hotdogs for lunch. By the fourth page the need to scoop little Jeannette out of the memoir and hug her and heal her is unbearable. This feeling didn’t go away until close to the second half of the memoir, when you realize Jeannette walls is too tough for a simple hug to heal her. Jeannette never complains or cries about her broken childhood but this didn’t stop me from crying. This little girl grows up in a dysfunctional family, climbs out of the hole of nothing her parents already dug her in and becomes a successful journalist, only then to become a successful author as well. I don’t come from a dysfunctional family and I don’t have a very complicated life. I’ve never been bullied or been at the top of the popularity food chain, but like everyone I have small problems. Many people won’t agree, but I believe Jeannette Walls tells her story, not just to share her memories but to inspire. Inspire you to climb out of your hole, no matter who dug it for you, or how deep it appears and be something great. The story whispers in your ears and tells you not to be inspired but the inspiration.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy