My favorite book: Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson made me face reality.

ashleyebersole19

11-23-12
Ashley Ebersole
9th Grade
14 years old

Dear Diary,
I realize. I reaize now what is real. I realiize that there are bigger problems in the world than 'what to wear' or 'getting a bad grade on a test'. Melinda. She got raped. She had no control over it, but it happened. She was just my age too. She was only a freshman in High School. She lost her friends, became distant from her family, and started to trust people less. Speak made me face reality. It made me admit to myself that people have real problems. BIG problems. Problems that they can't control. I couldn't believe that i hadn't realized it before. I didn't even have my eyes open wide enough to see what was right in front of me at all times. High School is hard. But it's harder alone. Melinda had to face high school without anybody because everybody that she thought was there for her, left her. Speak inspired me to stand up for what I believe in. Speak brought me back to reality and showed me what some peole live daily. It made me realize how lucky I am to be here. With my family and friends all around me. Here. Not alone.
That's all for today,
Ashley
Comment by yiyijessicali

I also found speak to be one of the most compelling books I've read. The message about the power of speech that it conveys is amazing. To an extend, Melinda Sordino is an embodiment of the darker, beaten side in all of us. Keep up the writing!
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 1:45:21 AM