STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: "Saving Francesca" by Melina Marchetta Helped Me Conquer My Insecurities

Inspired
Francesca's having problems.

Well, we all do, but Francesca's really having problems.

First of all, she's in St. Sebastian's, a previously all-male school that has recently become coeducational. Sixteen-year-old Francesca's wry commentary reveals that, "St. Sebastian's pretends it's co-ed by giving us our own toilet." On top of that, her mother won't get out of bed, her new "friends" are feminist Tara, flirtatious Siobhan, and accordion player Justine, and as if that isn't enough, she can't figure out if she likes or hates head of house Will Trombal, whom she describes as, "a stick-in-the-mud moron with no personality."

The characters came alive for me. Francesca's narrative, dryly humorous, honest, and melodramatic, was an accurate description of the crazy feelings I as a teenager experience every day, and the vivid descriptions of the ethnic environment around her drew me in.

Francesca has insecurities that many teenagers have, such as feeling invisible ("I’m frightened to look at myself in the mirror because maybe nothing’s there") and boy trouble ("I can't get the Will Trombal kiss out of my mind. No. 'Kiss' is not the word to describe it. The Will Trombal experience. The Will Trombal extravaganza").

The compelling characters, the elegant prose - if I could speak with Ms. Marchetta one day, I would like to tell her the impression I received of her literary talents was very favorable. She pinned it down - the waterfall of emotions cascading - the unstoppable tears, the miraculous laughter, the strong friendships.

Every day there is at least one petty insecurity that eats me up, be it a test grade, a glance from a friend, a teacher's remark. Francesca beats them - is it her honesty? her passion? her kindness? She flies through the darkness and into the light.

I don't want to be insecure, I don't want to cry when things get rough, and I don't want to be affected by the bad. Sometimes, though, it is not an option - and "Saving Francesca" not only made me realize that it's alright to have these insecurities, but it's possible to overcome them, with a passionate heart and strength of spirit and soundness of mind.

"Saving Francesca" was a book that left an indelible impression on me. Very few books make me cry, but "Saving Francesca" had me bawling within a few chapters. Francesca's compelling point of view led me to understand the book's obvious messages; that life is bittersweet and that you can rise out of the darkness. For any teenager - or anyone, really - that has ever felt lost, this book is for you.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy