My Favorite Book: The Help inspired me to do the right thing

haleighjames
The Help was inspirational to me because it inspired me to do the right thing from now on since the African Americans were treated so badly during that certain time period. Most of them were severely beaten daily just because the whites were the “dominant” race and they could. The minimum number of slaves to each house hold was a 1 to 1 ratio, but that was in calm conditions. Most of the time it was more like 5 or more per household. To think there was a time when life was really this divided between races. Not even being able to eat in the same part of a restaurant? No mixed race bathrooms? I can't even imagine people pretending that makes sense. It just goes to show that when people stand up for what is right; you really can make a difference. Unfortunately, life is still divided by race or ethnicity, for example, look at all of the laws aimed at Hispanic immigrants currently being passed. Look at the hatred leveled at our President simply because he is Black.
I think that people in general have a hard time dealing with those who are different than they are. Skin color is just one of the things that divide us: religion, politics, culture, and a bunch of other things. People fear what they do not understand, and when there is no attempt at understanding, the fear remains. They rationalize their prejudice by pointing it out in those they fear, not understanding that prejudice is wrong no matter who does it.
In the book, there is this teenage girl named Skeeter. She really stood out to me and is an inspirational character because she didn’t care what others said about her, she did whatever she put her mind to. She wanted to be a journalist and to put her writing skills to the test; she wanted to write a book in the slave’s point of view. She never gave up on her dream in this book, and pursued to find slaves that would tell her their story. Since this was back in the slavery era, to find a white talking friendly to a black was very rare because the blacks were considered at a lower level and as “property” back then. She inspired me to not care what others thought of me and to live my life however I wanted to; in addition to, I should always chase my dreams no matter how difficult the journey will be to achieve.
In all, from now on in my life I will be inspired to always do the right thing and to not worry about what others think of me. I will not have other’s opinions be the judge of what I am going to do in my life. I will do whatever it takes to achieve my dreams and fight for what is right in this world.