STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: "Split" by Swati Avasthi

Noornouser
My favorite book, “Split," by Swati Avasthi made her realize how precious life is and how gentile a soul can be. It is about a kid who gets abused by his father and at one point it gets so bad  that his mother sends him to live with his brother, one he has not seen in years. His brother changed his name so the father can not find him. While living with his brother, you find out that the kid beat his girlfriend and the father is going crazy looking for him. I feel as if this is one of the most inspirational books because it showed the results of living in a household filled with abuse. It’s a point of view of the person who’s in that situation. When you’re reading the book, you learn that the kid hates himself for hitting his girlfriend. That’s the last thing he wanted to do. He forces the girl to press charges because he wants her to be stronger than his mother, who has been a victim of his father's abuse for most of her marriage. I think that was the most appealing part of Split, that the characters weren't just victims, even though most of them had every right to be. Jace, the main character, shows us the results of living in an abusive household. Jace's girlfriend claims that she will not take anyone's games, but ends up trying to work things out with Jace even after he hit her. This is one of the main reasons Jace cant stay with her. Christian, Jace's brother, is kind of a jerk sometimes but doesn't spend all day every day feeling sorry for himself just because he was abused. Jace and Christian's mother, however, provides the most abuse towards her children, she picks her husband over her children, even after she witnesses him abusing them. This is emotional abuse towards Jace, it ends up making him cry for hours. I'd say I wanted to slap her, but obviously that's never gotten her to do anything before, so let's move on. In the novel, the author states, “We all screw up. We all wish we were stronger than we are, and not one of us will get through this life without regret.” This shows how passionate and realistic the novel is, it’s describing the feelings of everyday life. Also Avasthl’s writing style is easy to read and minisitic. This is a guarteended to be you can’t put down and a book that makes you grateful in the end. 
Rate this:
Comment by OrangeZo

Sounds like an interesting book! You gave a good synopsis, I just wish you would've gave the names of the characters early in your essay because the I was confused who you were referring to when you said "he" sometimes. Otherwise, well done.

Zoe Fisher
Stage of Life HS Editor
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:41:29 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy