My Favorite Book: "Split" by Swati Avasthi

Noornouser
My favorite book, “Split," by Swati Avasthi made her realize how precious life is and how gentile a soul can be. It is about a kid who gets abused by his father and at one point it gets so bad  that his mother sends him to live with his brother, one he has not seen in years. His brother changed his name so the father can not find him. While living with his brother, you find out that the kid beat his girlfriend and the father is going crazy looking for him. I feel as if this is one of the most inspirational books because it showed the results of living in a household filled with abuse. It’s a point of view of the person who’s in that situation. When you’re reading the book, you learn that the kid hates himself for hitting his girlfriend. That’s the last thing he wanted to do. He forces the girl to press charges because he wants her to be stronger than his mother, who has been a victim of his father's abuse for most of her marriage. I think that was the most appealing part of Split, that the characters weren't just victims, even though most of them had every right to be. Jace, the main character, shows us the results of living in an abusive household. Jace's girlfriend claims that she will not take anyone's games, but ends up trying to work things out with Jace even after he hit her. This is one of the main reasons Jace cant stay with her. Christian, Jace's brother, is kind of a jerk sometimes but doesn't spend all day every day feeling sorry for himself just because he was abused. Jace and Christian's mother, however, provides the most abuse towards her children, she picks her husband over her children, even after she witnesses him abusing them. This is emotional abuse towards Jace, it ends up making him cry for hours. I'd say I wanted to slap her, but obviously that's never gotten her to do anything before, so let's move on. In the novel, the author states, “We all screw up. We all wish we were stronger than we are, and not one of us will get through this life without regret.” This shows how passionate and realistic the novel is, it’s describing the feelings of everyday life. Also Avasthl’s writing style is easy to read and minisitic. This is a guarteended to be you can’t put down and a book that makes you grateful in the end. 
Comment by OrangeZo

Sounds like an interesting book! You gave a good synopsis, I just wish you would've gave the names of the characters early in your essay because the I was confused who you were referring to when you said "he" sometimes. Otherwise, well done.

Zoe Fisher
Stage of Life HS Editor
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:41:29 PM