"The Help" by Kathryn Stockett

13travism
Humor Helps
“You is kind, you is smart, you is important” (Kathryn Stockett). Everyone has a favorite book, but what makes a book your favorite? It could be the inspiring characters, the humor, or the message. For me, my favorite book has all those components in it—my favorite book is The Help by Kathryn Stockett because it is very comical, but with very inspiring characters, and an eye-opening message.
The Help is a story filled with emotion; this book especially made me laugh. The Help is like a rollercoaster with emotions going up and down. The book takes you on a journey with three different women, who want to make a change in the world. Two of these women are house maids, who are struggling to make ends meet during the time of inequality of blacks and whites. The other character is a white woman, who wants to publish a book, and become a famous writer; however, she chooses to write about her friends’ day to day life as maids in Jackson Mississippi, which could be dangerous for all three of the women. This book is a serious story about the hardships that African Americans faced during the terrible times of the Jim Crow laws; however, the lighthearted humor makes it inspiring to find humor in everything in life no matter the hardships people may face. After a hard day at work the main characters, Aibileen, comes home and deals with her stress: “Frying chicken always makes me feel a little better about life” (Stockett). The book has many quotes that made me laugh at how the main characters deal with their situation. This book is important to me because it taught me how to find humor in all situations.
The characters in this book are no doubt funny, but they are also inspiring. All three of the characters were an inspiration to me. The white woman in the book, Skeeter, writes a book about how horribly African Americans maids are treated. Ailibeen and Minny, the maids in the book, were also inspiring because they always stick up for what is right even if it meant danger to their lives. These women in this book show what it truly means to be brave. The Help is also important to me because the characters really challenged my views on how horribly African Americans were still treated in the 1960s.
The inspiring characters also taught me a valuable lesson. All three characters opened my eyes to treating everyone with kindness and respect—no matter where people come from, what they look like, or how they dress. They also made me want to make a difference in the world, and to never give up on my dreams. With the brave characters in this book, the book also taught me that one person can truly make a difference.
The book The Help is important to me because the characters were admirable, they made me want to stand up for what is right, and the overall message or theme of the book taught me the reality of racism. So, if you are a book lover, you need to read this book!
Comment by OrangeZo

Really nice summary and explanation of what you got out of the book. Personally, I like books that are relatable and have an ambiguous message- so I can come to my own conclusion. I haven't read the book but I've seen the movie (don't worry, it's on my list). Do you think the book accurately translates to the movie, and does it justice?

Zoe Fisher
Stage of Life HS Editor
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:00:31 PM