My favorite book: Animal Farm by George Orwell

ashleyareopagita
When I was in the sixth grade, I spent a lot of time with my older brother. We would talk about anything and everything so my brother and I had an extremely close relationship. One day we started talking about our favorite books. I, being twelve years old, told him my favorite book was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. My brother was much older than me and thought Harry Potter was idiotic; he told me I had to start reading books that actually had substance and meaning. He then reached into his closet and handed me a book called Animal Farm by George Orwell. As soon as he handed me the book I was eager to start reading.
At first I was skeptical about the content of the book. Since my brother was older than me, I thought the book would be too serious and monotonous to read. I had always been the type of person who reading the ending of the book first, so as soon as I was given the book, I read the last page. It was confusing, as it contained talking animals. The ending did not give me much of an idea about what the rest of the book was about. I flipped to the first page and started reading. It became obvious that the book was about talking animals. I began to think that the maturity level of the book was not as high as I thought it was.
However, I was completely wrong. In Animal Farm, the author, George Orwell, models self-government with farm animals. At first, the animals act like animals – they do not try to deceive each other and they help each other out. The animals were concerned for the common good of each animal in the society. Eventually, Orwell portrayed the animals as acting more like humans – they walked on hind legs and wore clothes. As they started to act more and more like humans, the animals began to betray each other. They became selfish and power hungry. Not only is this book important to me because it is something my brother and I share (it is our favorite book) but it also has such a heavy philosophical meaning to it. The metaphor Orwell uses in the book to portray the evils of humanity was easy for even a twelve year old to understand. Animal Farm taught me something I would never have been able to learn in a sixth grade history class. The book made me change my entire outlook on life. I was mentally glued to the book and could not put it down. Animal Farm has been and always will be my favorite book.
Comment by OrangeZo

This was an insightful piece. I must agree with your brother in the fact that Harry Potter is idiotic and that Animal Farm is much more elevated in intelligence. It's interesting that you understood the themes and message so well when you were so young. I read it freshman year at school and barely grasped it's satire of the Soviet Union and totalitarianism. Do you think you began to understand it more as you matured, or do you think the message is universal and you understood it clearly the first time you read it?

Zoe Fisher
Stage of Life HS Editor
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:08:28 PM
Comment by yiyijessicali

A great start for an analytical piece! I would recommend that you also look at some of the ironies in the novel, and match the animals with certain social classes in Soviet society.
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 1:57:39 AM