STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My favorite book: Animal Farm by George Orwell

ashleyareopagita
When I was in the sixth grade, I spent a lot of time with my older brother. We would talk about anything and everything so my brother and I had an extremely close relationship. One day we started talking about our favorite books. I, being twelve years old, told him my favorite book was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. My brother was much older than me and thought Harry Potter was idiotic; he told me I had to start reading books that actually had substance and meaning. He then reached into his closet and handed me a book called Animal Farm by George Orwell. As soon as he handed me the book I was eager to start reading.
At first I was skeptical about the content of the book. Since my brother was older than me, I thought the book would be too serious and monotonous to read. I had always been the type of person who reading the ending of the book first, so as soon as I was given the book, I read the last page. It was confusing, as it contained talking animals. The ending did not give me much of an idea about what the rest of the book was about. I flipped to the first page and started reading. It became obvious that the book was about talking animals. I began to think that the maturity level of the book was not as high as I thought it was.
However, I was completely wrong. In Animal Farm, the author, George Orwell, models self-government with farm animals. At first, the animals act like animals – they do not try to deceive each other and they help each other out. The animals were concerned for the common good of each animal in the society. Eventually, Orwell portrayed the animals as acting more like humans – they walked on hind legs and wore clothes. As they started to act more and more like humans, the animals began to betray each other. They became selfish and power hungry. Not only is this book important to me because it is something my brother and I share (it is our favorite book) but it also has such a heavy philosophical meaning to it. The metaphor Orwell uses in the book to portray the evils of humanity was easy for even a twelve year old to understand. Animal Farm taught me something I would never have been able to learn in a sixth grade history class. The book made me change my entire outlook on life. I was mentally glued to the book and could not put it down. Animal Farm has been and always will be my favorite book.
Rate this:
Comment by OrangeZo

This was an insightful piece. I must agree with your brother in the fact that Harry Potter is idiotic and that Animal Farm is much more elevated in intelligence. It's interesting that you understood the themes and message so well when you were so young. I read it freshman year at school and barely grasped it's satire of the Soviet Union and totalitarianism. Do you think you began to understand it more as you matured, or do you think the message is universal and you understood it clearly the first time you read it?

Zoe Fisher
Stage of Life HS Editor
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:08:28 PM
Rate this:
Comment by yiyijessicali

A great start for an analytical piece! I would recommend that you also look at some of the ironies in the novel, and match the animals with certain social classes in Soviet society.
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 1:57:39 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy