STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: "The Devil's Arithmetic" by Jane Yolen inspired me to research the histo

kellypie7
The Devil’s Arithmetic by Jane Yolen
Throughout my grammar and high school career I have read over one hundred books. Although some of these books were boring, others were life changing and inspirational to a teen such as myself. In grammar school we were taught about Nazi Germany. Because of this, I began to read books, both fictional and non-fictional, about Europe at the time of the Nazi takeover. One such book was The Devil’s Arithmetic. It subjected the reader to deep consideration of how history shaped our lives. It also dabbles in family and religious history. It leads me to question how people during this time dealt with anti-Semitism, the Nazi invasion, and how my own family history has shaped my life.
Hannah Stern, a wealthy and spoiled Jewish teen awoke in a world which was soiled with anti-Semitism brought on by the Nazis. Forced to live within the barracks of concentration camps, she located her grandmother as a mere teenager living as a laborer. Little did Hannah know, she was in the body of her grandmother’s best friend, Hannah, at that time, who she was named after. At the end of the story Hannah sacrifices herself to the gas chambers to save the life of her grandmother. This was an inspirational test of courage. Hannah then awakens from what was all but a dream. Her once negative attitude towards her religion was broken through such an experience. She embraced her religious beliefs and overcame anti-Semitism all due to a dream.
The Nazi invasion was symbolized by the non-acceptance of Jews in European communities. It is mind boggling to think that one religion was nearly destroyed because one group despised their actions and blamed them for the hard times occurring in their country. The harsh and brutal treatment received by the Jews seems unrealistic in this day and age. We are now accepting of all cultures, religions, and skin colors. To think that the Nazis could have accomplished their hopes of a Jewish extinction distresses and puzzles me. The story of two teenage girls living in a concentration camp, forced to work long hours, and have little food, although fictional in this case made me cry. The Diary of Anne Frank had the same effect on me, especially knowing that it was the true story of a family hiding in fear of the Nazi invasion in the Netherlands.
I was unable to put this book down. Its storyline made me question how my own family has been shaped by historical events. The idea that my family history could have been changed by even a miniscule event is thought provoking. This book has led me to believe that you must live your life to the fullest, and be grateful for everything you are given in life, because you never know who died or fought for you to be where you are in life. Hannah’s experience in the time of the Nazis changed her outlook on life. Just as it changed her, the story has changed me and taught me to appreciate life for what it is and be happy with what I have been blessed with.
Rate this:
Comment by OrangeZo

This is a compelling piece. I really appreciated the summary and text-to-self connections you gave. Something that gave me pause, however, was the statement, " We are now accepting of all cultures, religions, and skin colors." It's true that we have not seen genocide on as large of a scale since the holocaust, but there still is intolerance of religions today. Since 9/11 we see an increase of anti-Islam campaigns and still see antisemitism in America as well as places, like Palestine. Having said that, I pose a question to you, what can this book give us to deal with the intolerance of religious cultures still seen today? Also, have you read, "Night" by Elie Wiesel- great read if you haven't.

Zoe Fisher
Stage of Life, HS Editor
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:23:36 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy