My Favorite Book: "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky

missvictorzzz
I was sitting on the couch in my living room, catching up on my usual programs. Usually when a TV show I am watching cuts to black to show commercials, I change the channel. For some reason that wasn't the case when the trailer for The Perks of Being a Wallflower came on. I looked at my TV screen in awe. Producers do have a tendency of making the trailer look way better than the actual movie, but for some reason I looked passed that. I had to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
Later on, I discovered that The Perks of Being a Wallflower was a book. A book written by Stephen Chbosky. I am one of those people who always has to read the book before I see the movie. I wanted to see the movie as soon as possible, so I went to the nearest book store and bought the book.
I was hooked on the book by the first chapter. As much as I loved the book, I felt like that I could never relate to Charlie, the main character and narrator of the book. However, there were three things he said that were some of the most inspirational and real quotes that anyone could ever state.
"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." There are times in your life where you just long to feel like you are on top of the world. And to be around certain people who can make you feel that particular way is amazing. Charlie was able to find people like that. Samantha and Patrick. Everybody needs a Samantha and Patrick in their life. Friends that can make you feel infinite even when you are at your low is almost a necessity in life.
Another life lesson taught in this book is self worth. How do we treat ourselves, and how do we let others treat us? Is being with somebody who you thinks make you happy but in reality disrespects you, really worth it? "We accept the love that we think we deserve." This was said by Charlie's English teacher in regards to his sister getting hit by her boyfriend. It lets us know that no kind of love should be accepting violence or any other kind of mistreatment.
Every now and then, you may want to sit down and feel sorry for yourself. And then you remember they're are people out there who have it worse. On the other hand, saying you can't but sad because others have it much worse, is like saying you can't be happy because someone else has it much better. Pushing away your feelings because of another person's "worse" situation doesn't make you feel any happier or less sad because, "even if somebody else has it much worse, that doesn't really change the fact that you have what you have."
These inspirational and real quotes stated in The Perks of Being a Wallflower are sayings that I use as a guideline day-to-day. The sayings are true words spoken about the genuine factors of life. Factors that anybody can be connected with and follow.

Comment by OrangeZo

Wow, sounds like a great book. How did the movie compare? I've been looking for something inspirational and this sounds like the book for me. Thanks for recommending it.

Zoe Fisher
Stage of Life HS Editor
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:49:07 PM
Comment by missvictorzzz

OrangeZo: It is a great book! Of course the book was better than the movie, but the movie was amazing too, because the author of the book had a big part in it!
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:43:37 PM
Comment by OrangeZo

Sounds great. Thanks for posting!

Zoe Fisher
Stage of Life HS Editor
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:39:13 AM