STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: “Th1rteen R3asons Why” by Jay Asher inspired me to stay alive.

shaikha
My Favorite Book: “Th1rteen R3asons Why” by Jay Asher inspired me to stay alive.

Some people might start this essay with an introductory about the book or a summarization of the plot, however I’ll just lay my cards down for all of you to see.
The truth is, before “Th1rteen R3asons Why” I wasn’t much of a reader. I had gone through a rough patch which took me away from any other activity and made me close to the blades. I remember the day I got to know about this book as if it was last night.

It was 7th grade when my classmate came to class sharing her experience with the book; she judged the girl suiciding and making people feel the pain after she’s gone, it just made me weaker. That evening, I went to nearest bookshop and searched for the book, I remember starring at it, thinking “What if that girl was me?”

As soon as I got home, I started to read. For a while, I thought that my emotions were gone but the wounds this book opened were deeper than I imagined. I started to cry, thinking about how I attempted and what could’ve happened if I succeeded. What would my friends be like and how would my actions affect their lives; I even thought about what would happen to my parents considering me being their eldest child and only daughter.

People call me crazy, insane, gothic, “emo”, suicidal for the way I think, I just hope someday they’ll understand that it wasn’t in my hands. This book had the power to change me. Whenever I reach the edge, I head to the book. It had majestic powers to make the thoughts go away; it’s one of the main reasons that I’m still alive sharing this with you.

This book didn’t only keep my alive, it even inspired me into embracing myself, and accepting myself the way I. It inspired me to write a short novel called “30 Days in Annabel’s Life”, available at my blog “http://shaikhaalmawlani.blogspot.com”, which also reflected the life of a suicidal girl. It made me get into arts as another way to express myself, my pain, my thoughts.

A lot of people consider books as if they were made as torture devices, forgetting that books are portals. They’re portals that could take you to another dimension and introduce you to other cultures without having to do anything more than flip a page. Books can bring true joy into people’s hearts, they can even heal wounds even faster than time.

To wrap it up I’d say, when you find a book that could mean this much to you and change your life, cherish it because it’s a gift from god. To people who read, continue soaring through wisdom. To people who don’t read, you’re missing up on a life time opportunity. To people who have suicidal thoughts, hold on sanity and fight off your demons.
Rate this:
Comment by OrangeZo

This was a very powerful and inspirational message. It's always nice to see people find a piece of writing that they connect with, and I commend you on encouraging others to do the same. I hope you stay strong through your struggles.

Best of Luck,

Zoe Fisher
Stage of Life HS Editor
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:49:05 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy