Say What ... Books?

FatmaSiddique
As a child books never fascinated me. I considered books one of the boring pieces of work ever; I was always forced to read. Books were a nightmare for the longest time! My mom would force me to read, which meant I had to give up my cartoons for words. In class when I was told to read I never focused on the novel. However, this one particular day I was walking by a bookstore in Manhattan, New York. When I finally saw a book that appealed to me, I was about twelve years old at the time. I know about time I started to become engrossed in books. The novel was titled, “The Prophecy of the Stones,” by Flavia Bujor and translated from French by Linda Coverdale. The book caught my attention from the start; three girls who are strangers at first meet at the age of fourteen who encounter the truth about their lives, and embark on an epic journey to save the fate of Fairytale. With this novel words were no longer boring; yet they created images in my mind that fascinated me as a little girl. I did not put the book down until I completed it. My mom on the other hand, gawked with disbelief every time she called me and I replied, “One minute let me read this page please!” I was so proud of myself when I finished the book, I actually felt like I accomplished something. After the “Prophecy of the Stones” I made frequent trips to the books store, and realized what type of books I was interested in which was fiction. I can still go back today and re-read this novel, it had an significant emphasis in my life. I realized how much books were important to my education, and how it contributed to my essays and my immense span of vocabulary. I finally understood why all my teachers and friends loved to read, and became part of compassion when I read “The Prophecy of the Stones.”