My Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green- the first book that made me cry

TheRaikster
I’ve never cried while reading a book. I am the biggest Harry Potter nerd, and I didn’t even cry when Dobby died. I’m a huge sap during movies, but for some reason, books just didn’t cause waterworks. That is, until I read The Fault in Our Stars.

I can’t pinpoint exactly what it is that made me cry. The whole book was phenomenal- the characters so beautifully crafted to be real, and the ending is not your typical ‘happy ending.’ You can’t help but become indomitably attached to the characters of Hazel and Augustus. Hazel is a unique heroine. She provides a bleak, but accurate, outlook at life. She’s a cancer patient- it’s okay that she’s depressed. The novel presents itself in such an alluring way because of Hazel’s witty, atypical outlook. Most books I’ve read about cancer are about hope from the beginning. But Hazel tells it as it is. And then there’s Augustus--the mysterious, swoon-worthy, brooding, über-cool teenager Hazel meets. He brings out the best in Hazel. It’s impossible to not fall completely in love with Augustus. He’s the perfect boyfriend, without being the stereotypical boyfriend character. He’s everything every girl (or boy) wants their boyfriend to be. Hazel and Augustus’s adventure in Holland is unusual in that they do not get what they ultimately came for, yet their journey is one so interesting I yearned to follow in their footsteps. As their relationship grew, my love for them expanded exponentially.

When Augustus dies, it’s unbearable. I literally felt a hole rip itself in my heart. I had come to love Augustus as a close friend, and I felt as if a relative died. I finished the book full of awe, as it is truly the best book I’ve ever read.