“One of those hideous books where the Mother dies” by Sonya Sones strengthened my relationship with my dad

ttasnim
From a young age, I have always interacted with my mother for every little details about my life. Sharing school stories to desiring a new dress for birthday, were only shared with my mom. Although my dad was there, however, his work made him distant from me. When I was younger, I always believed that my dad was a martinet and someone who did not not enjoy life. This illusion was decimated after I read this book, which inspired me to spent time with my dad.
Narrated in a series of connected poems, One Of Those Hideous Books Where The Mother Dies is a reflection of a teen's mind. When fifteen-year-old protagonist Ruby's mother dies, she flies to California to live with her Hollywood-star father, Whip Logan. Abdicating her boyfriend and her lifelong best friend, Ruby lived with the person whom she misjudged from the beginning. With this misjudgment, Ruby's father was abstained from Ruby's life however, as the story moves on, Ruby discovers her negative illusion towards her father as false. Sonya Sones exhaustively and humorously explains Ruby's journey through poetic verses that is relatively easy to understand.
After enjoying this book thoroughly, I decided to spent more time with my dad and to prove my illusion wornwrong just as Ruby. I discovered that my dad was not a martinet but indeed, a person with much humor and charisma. He shared his childhood stories and told me about the day when he saw Neil Armstrong. I was thrilled and contented to find this other side of my dad.
The novel not only facilitated my relationship with my dad but also accentuated a dictum – never judge a person until you know them personally. Although I read this novel three years ago, however its significance is still marked in my memory. I vividly remember the plot, the characters, and some of the dialogues from this book however, I could barely remember the book that I read six months ago. Sonya Sones has done a remarkable job since this one of the most inspiring books I have encountered.
Comment by OrangeZo

I read this book also, and loved it. This was the first time I saw a book organized that way, it was so fresh and unexpected. I'm glad to see you used the moral of the story in your own life. Thanks for posting.

Zoe Fisher
Stage of Life HS Editor
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:04:23 AM