STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

“One of those hideous books where the Mother dies” by Sonya Sones strengthened my relationship with my dad

ttasnim
From a young age, I have always interacted with my mother for every little details about my life. Sharing school stories to desiring a new dress for birthday, were only shared with my mom. Although my dad was there, however, his work made him distant from me. When I was younger, I always believed that my dad was a martinet and someone who did not not enjoy life. This illusion was decimated after I read this book, which inspired me to spent time with my dad.
Narrated in a series of connected poems, One Of Those Hideous Books Where The Mother Dies is a reflection of a teen's mind. When fifteen-year-old protagonist Ruby's mother dies, she flies to California to live with her Hollywood-star father, Whip Logan. Abdicating her boyfriend and her lifelong best friend, Ruby lived with the person whom she misjudged from the beginning. With this misjudgment, Ruby's father was abstained from Ruby's life however, as the story moves on, Ruby discovers her negative illusion towards her father as false. Sonya Sones exhaustively and humorously explains Ruby's journey through poetic verses that is relatively easy to understand.
After enjoying this book thoroughly, I decided to spent more time with my dad and to prove my illusion wornwrong just as Ruby. I discovered that my dad was not a martinet but indeed, a person with much humor and charisma. He shared his childhood stories and told me about the day when he saw Neil Armstrong. I was thrilled and contented to find this other side of my dad.
The novel not only facilitated my relationship with my dad but also accentuated a dictum – never judge a person until you know them personally. Although I read this novel three years ago, however its significance is still marked in my memory. I vividly remember the plot, the characters, and some of the dialogues from this book however, I could barely remember the book that I read six months ago. Sonya Sones has done a remarkable job since this one of the most inspiring books I have encountered.
Rate this:
Comment by OrangeZo

I read this book also, and loved it. This was the first time I saw a book organized that way, it was so fresh and unexpected. I'm glad to see you used the moral of the story in your own life. Thanks for posting.

Zoe Fisher
Stage of Life HS Editor
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:04:23 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy