My Favorite Book: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, has helped me realize what I can do to help

24601_Illusions
Victor Hugo's intriguing tale of the life of Jean Valjean, a man raised in poverty and surrounded by hate who slowly begins to embrace God and love into his life therefore changing him for the better and enlightening his views on the world allowing the joy and love too seep out of the pages and embrace the reader in the wonderful story. Les Miserables involves controversial topics such as death, poverty, and war but also the love, happiness, and acceptance of such things that make every page worth crying over. Hugo's words have touched many, helping some readers to embrace God, others to see the world in a different light. Hugo shows the complexity of the human race though his characters, even the antagonist of the story Javert, is shown in more then just a negative light, it is shown where he has come from, why he hunts down Valjean, and the sensitivity of his character. Hugo has helped many people see past the outer appearances of people and embrace who they truly are. Countless people have been changed by Hugo's novel as well as myself. Les Miserables has taught me to not only look past outer appearances but to give to others who are in need, plenty of people have far less then others and are in need of a helping hand. It does not matter how many people are touched by kindness and generosity as long as someone is.
Comment by yiyijessicali

This is a VERY nicely written analytical piece. However, I would also take a closer look at the context of the work, French Revolution, and make adjustments to this interpretation (especially about embracing god).
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 1:50:12 AM