STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, has helped me realize what I can do to help

24601_Illusions
Victor Hugo's intriguing tale of the life of Jean Valjean, a man raised in poverty and surrounded by hate who slowly begins to embrace God and love into his life therefore changing him for the better and enlightening his views on the world allowing the joy and love too seep out of the pages and embrace the reader in the wonderful story. Les Miserables involves controversial topics such as death, poverty, and war but also the love, happiness, and acceptance of such things that make every page worth crying over. Hugo's words have touched many, helping some readers to embrace God, others to see the world in a different light. Hugo shows the complexity of the human race though his characters, even the antagonist of the story Javert, is shown in more then just a negative light, it is shown where he has come from, why he hunts down Valjean, and the sensitivity of his character. Hugo has helped many people see past the outer appearances of people and embrace who they truly are. Countless people have been changed by Hugo's novel as well as myself. Les Miserables has taught me to not only look past outer appearances but to give to others who are in need, plenty of people have far less then others and are in need of a helping hand. It does not matter how many people are touched by kindness and generosity as long as someone is.
Rate this:
Comment by yiyijessicali

This is a VERY nicely written analytical piece. However, I would also take a closer look at the context of the work, French Revolution, and make adjustments to this interpretation (especially about embracing god).
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 1:50:12 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy