My Favorite Book: "The Nature of Jade" by Deb Caletti inspired me to fix the way I treat people.

RBrown201
I would like to start off by introducing myself as a girl with a background of anxiety. Anxiety runs deep in my family blood-line, on my father's side. When I had my first panic attack, I was extremely freaked out and had a very similar reaction to that of Jade, the main character of the beautifully crafted novel "The Nature of Jade". I felt crowded and just overall trapped; like my world was coming to an end right in front of my eyes. I always wondered what set off my attack and after that first one, I became very nervous and standoffish around people, worried that I would have another one and that everyone would see how much of a freak I was. "The Nature of Jade" honestly helped me immensely in dealing with my fears and frustrations. I noticed Jade's character was very determined, loving, affectionate- things that I yearned to be, but felt like I couldn't be because I could not bear to let myself get too attached to someone and then something happen and loose them from my life. She was determined to do exceptional in school so that she could excel in every aspect of her life. She studied hard, got scholarship-worthy grades, and still made time to balance everything else in her life. I have always had a problem with balance. I used to put my social life before my academic life, allowing my grades to drop to an all time low of C's and D's. Jade was loving and affectionate to not only her elephant pal's at the zoo where she volunteered consistently in addition to her schooling, but to her newly found love, Sebastien, who brought along Bo, who could have been a burden on their relationship, but instead brought even more sentiment. Within the weeks after reading "The Nature of Jade", others began to notice a distinct change in my actions and overall demeanor and they brought it to my attention. Once I noticed the difference, I realized how much more free and happy I felt. I had developed some of the characteristics of Jade. I had become easier to be around, according to my mother and father. I was not sour around people, I was less anxious and jumpy, I even opened up to going back to school after being home-schooled for two years. I felt rejuvenated, new; like one of those bears who had just come out of hibernation.
It has now been a year since I read "The Nature of Jade" the first time. I read this book at least once a month, a reminder to be "good" because what I was before was not healthy. I was destructive to my mental state, being all cooped up and mean. I needed a breath of fresh air and I sure got it when I read this book. Thank you Deb Caletti, for writing such an incredible book. You have no idea what it has done for me.
Comment by Deb Caletti

Hi RBrown -

Congratulations to you! I'm so happy that your essay was chosen as a runner-up in the contest. It is a beautiful essay, and it meant a lot to me to read it. I have had books in my own life that have helped me a great deal, and I'm honored that you felt that way about mine. I wrote JADE at a time when I was facing big changes in my own life, ones I felt I had to be brave about. Writing it helped me get clear about the need to face fears, and about the fact that fear is a part of ALL of our natures, human and animal. I'm glad you made a similar trip along with me.

Thank you so much for reading and writing about JADE. Your essay inspired ME. :) Please take a peek at my FB page (https://www.facebook.com/DebCaletti) - I've got a little message up for you.

Again, R. - congratulations and thank you again.

Deb Caletti
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 6:39:37 PM
Comment by RBrown201

Deb Caletti,

My shock has yet to fade & the giddiness has spread to every inch of my body.
I have to say, it is incredibly honoring to have had you even so much as taken a glimpse at my essay. You are my favorite author & this is just so crazy for me!
I write all the time & I have such a passion for it. I would love nothing more than to work in the industry in which you are so familiar. No matter how much I need to work at developing my skills, no matter how long it takes, I don't care. It is what I want to do. I know I am far from perfection, but you responding to my essay has given me such a hope that I know I should continue to keep pushing forward.
Thank you so much - you have no idea how your comments have made me feel,
Raquel Brown
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2012 1:31:48 AM