My Favorite Book: "Cut" by Patricia McCormick Opened Me Up

BeccaKathyrn
The book Cut affected me on a deeper level than most books I have read. The main character Callie reminds me a lot of myself. It may seem like I’m fine on the outside, but I used to have a different way of dealing with problems. After reading Cut, I felt terrible about what I was doing to myself and took steps to put a halt to such destructive behavior. I can proudly say this book helped me stop cutting myself and made me take a step back in order to more closely evaluate my life. I haven’t cut myself for about a month now after a recent but brief relapse. Before that, I had been clean for almost a year.
With every page I turned, my scars began to tingle. I’ve known others who have chosen to take the same path I once chose. To see someone else inflicting pain upon them self made my heart ache. I don’t want anyone to go through the pain and suffering I put myself through. As I became attached to Callie, I felt every one of her triumphs was a triumph of my own. I began to grow along with the character, and before I knew it I had come out of my shell. Today, I feel the character of Amanda deeply resonates with me, because I can proudly show off my scars, seeing as they are only that…scars, not cuts. No matter how I am judged for the choices I have made in the past, I know everything I’ve gone through has made me who I am today.
I am stronger and I have found so many different ways to vent and express emotion. I have taken up writing as an outlet. One day I hope a work of my own will inspire and maybe even save someone the way this book saved me. Also, I strive to one day start a small organization to help those who struggle with self harm, depression, and suicidal thoughts. Even when no one is there for them, I want to be that one person they can come to. This book set off a chain reaction in my life and I have gone from being a depressed, suicidal cutter to a confident, bubbly, energetic person dedicated to helping others.

By: Rebecca Dupree