My Favourite Book: "Bridge to Terabithia" by Katherine Paterson taught me that tears are noble

nikitasaha12
I have read many wonderful books. Some of them include the Harry Potter series, the chronicles of Narnia, the Percy Jackson series and Into the Wild. All of these books had a great impact on my thinking and on my life. These books gave me comfort and company when human beings wouldn’t suffice. But if asked which one among them actually inspired or developed hope in me the most I would take the name of Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson.

Bridge to Terabithia is the story of Jess and Leslie. Jess is a middle child with four sisters, awkward and without friends until Leslie becomes his neighbor and his only friend. They laugh and share experiences. Together they create an imaginary kingdom of Terabithia where they are the rulers, destined to fight wars and protect their kingdom. Jess finally starts feeling happy. Until, one day he goes out with his teacher for a small trip and comes back to find his friend dead. Initially jess was unable to absorb the news, but when he did, he reacted strongly. At the end his younger sister becomes the new queen of Terabithia .

Though I have never lost a friend I could still feel like I could relate with Jess. This is a sign of how exceptional a writer Katherine Paterson is. I won’t be ashamed to say that this book made me cry. Terabithia is very special and personal to me. Many nights I have stayed awake thinking and dreaming of Leslie and Jess. I saw the movie first, and was bent on getting the book. The very task of finding the book was herculean, as, no one had ever heard of the book, let alone keep it in their store. Finally in some forgotten book shop I saw a single copy waiting for me. When I found the book, I cried, seeing the cover. When you read a book you reach a different world. And when you read it again you remember the thoughts and emotions you had felt when you had read the book last time. Terabithia gave me friends in the real sense, as I understood the true value of all my friends and of my family who have supported me through my darkest times. The book taught me that it is OK to cry because tears show that you have a heart. I connected with Terabithia on an emotional level, which I fail to do with most books. It was my companion when I hid in my tent from my parents as they yelled at my sister. It was my guide and motivator when I had a fight with my best friend. It helped me cross 5 years of my life, with my head held high because I drew upon the courage of Jess. I knew that if Jess could get off his bed in the morning, so could I. This book has helped me to become who I am today.