Just don't think

wendyjo96
Ever since I was a young girl, I was clumsy and fell down a LOT. Also cried a LOT (from those falls). Each time, my parents would scold me and say, "Wendy, think before you walk!" Of course as time passed, I became pretty good at walking and even good at sports. I think of those childhood years as years of preparation for harder and more arduous sports. Any way, so my motto has been for a long time, "think before you do anything."
Few days ago, I got a chance to play piano at the Carnegie Hall in NYC. I wore a long velvet green dress and sparkling earrings. My mom told me, "You can do well," and I was like, "yea, it not a big deal, I can do it." Everything was fine until I got backstage. My hands were shaking so much and my legs were trembling that I had to sit down. It was almost my turn now and I just couldn't get my fingers to stop shaking! I felt like just running away and thought of what I could do and should do. Then I walked out on to the stage, to find it much bigger than what I expected. Million thoughts raced through my head: music, melody, fear. Just before I pushed on the piano keys, that's when I realized, let your body do the job. Just don't think. Live the moment.
It has been only a few days and I can't remember how I played up on stage. I have no memory of it at all. But I know that I did the best I could and enjoyed every second of that 4 minute performance.