STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My favorite book Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson made me realize I wanted to be a psychiatrist

KaitlynEHensley
All my life I've known that I want to help people. Throughout my life people have come to me with their problems and I have always been happy to lend an ear or offer some advice because I enjoy helping people.But it wasn't until I read Wintergirls that I realized just how strong my desire to help people was. Wintergirls is a powerful novel that completely changed my perspective on body issues. I never understood why people starved themselves. The idea was a foreign concept to me until I read this book. The novel is about a girl named Lia who struggles with anorexia and has been in and out of treatment centers that have never helped her. Throughout the book she struggles with her desire to eat, but she convinces herself that when she doesn't she is strong, not weak like everyone keeps trying to tell her. Hearing Lia’s thoughts and the self-hatred she felt toward herself completely broke my heart. Every thought she had was about how much she hated herself; she was too fat, too ugly, and she would only be happy if she was skinny. She couldn't see what everyone else saw. She was skin and bones, but in her mind she was fat, nothing but a giant balloon in desperate need of being shrunk, even if it risked popping in the process. She saw her arms and legs as logs, when in reality they were pencils. Reading what she thought about herself made me cry because I realized that a lot of girls feel like that every day. I had one friend who told me she was bulimic and that she needed help, and when she told me it was so hard for me to understand why she would do that to herself. She was beautiful and kind and funny, and I struggled to try and see why she hurt herself like that. Why couldn't she see what I saw? Then I stopped and thought, and I realized I did the same thing as her. I couldn't see myself the way other people saw me. I mentally degraded myself the same way Lia did, and it finally dawned on me that I was even doing it. After that I decided that I wanted to help people like Lia, and the people that do the same thing that I did. I decided to become a psychiatrist to help people who struggle with anorexia, bulimia, and other disorders. I want to help people realize how beautiful they are as themselves. I want people to love themselves and who they are. I want to be able to help all of the people like Lia, because no one deserves to live like that. Wintergirls helped give me a purpose in my life that I will always be thankful for.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy