STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: "700 Years of Classical Treasures" by Jaime Almeida led me to love music

reedpiper33
When I was in kindergarten, my mother asked me if I would like to play the violin. I simply thought that playing an instrument just like my grandfather would be fun. At the time I did not know it, but I was developing a love for music. By the time I entered fourth grade, it was obvious that I loved music. My cousin and I had joined a small youth orchestra together. It was during this time that my mother brought me the most inspirational book I have read: "7oo Years of Classical Treasures" by Jaime Almeida. This unique book combines writing about classical music history, art, and eight CDs of the music. As a young elementary student, I was amazed by the variety of music found among the pages of the book from the middle ages to the twentieth century. I cannot say that I enjoyed all of the music at the time; it took several years to develop a taste for the Gregorian chants from the 1300s. Nevertheless, I was fascinated by all the music and the composers. I read each of the composers' short biographies while listening to their music, trying to establish a connection between a name, life, and sound. I began going to the public library almost religiously to borrow the maximum ten CDs, normally about fifteen hours of music. I listened to every recording of Mendelssohn, Bach, Mozart, Schumann, Tchaikovsky, Saint-Saëns, and Brahms. I begged my parents for a stereo for Christmas in order to play all the music in my room. My life was immersed in classical music, and I loved it.
Despite this love for music, I felt a bit isolated from my peers. I felt that I could not subscribe to the culture's interest in the popular music. I found no pleasure in listening to a repetitive song about something about which I would never care. I did not and still do not enjoy the music blasted from huge speakers in the quad. My love for classical music was shared by very few. For a time, it seemed as though only my music teachers, mother, and cousin understood my obsession. Not even my father really valued classical music. At times I felt alone and sad that my interests seemed incompatible with those of the people I met at school. I loved "700 Years" and the happiness it brought me, but I began to hate the way it had separated me from others. In high school I finally found friends who loved classical music the same way I did. I felt relief to be able to be taken seriously when I talked about the phrasing in a recording of Tchaikovsky's "Symphony No. 4" or about the life of Mozart. Although there are certainly other books and recordings I enjoy very much, I still come back to "700 Years of Classical Treasures" for its inspiring words and music frequently, remembering where it has led me and thinking about where it might take me.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy