My Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince made me crave adventure

potterchild
The entire Harry Potter series was a life-changing marvel, not just for me, but also for an entire generation. Different people may have drawn different morsels from the series: a passion for reading, the power of love, the meaning of friendship and bravery; there is no end to tenets that can be drawn from this series. As an individual, I absorbed all of these lessons and one more.
My favorite book out of the series has always been Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, in which the story begins to darken. Innocence is lost and childhood cut short, (awesome!). I remember being wide-eyed and shaking as I turned each page. I remember reading this book with such excitement and fervor that many a meal was skipped and hour of sleep lost. I yearned for he voyage, and most of all, for the glory of Harry. I wanted to be an adventurous hero. I longed for the challenge of saving the world, of kicking butt and taking names. I compared my humdrum, pedestrian life to that of Harry’s and grew depressed. What would my odyssey, my legacy, be? And, so, I threw myself into this fantasy world, clinging onto the fictional adventures and characters. Time passed and not much changed. I continued to view my own life as commonplace drivel. Nothing seemed comparable to the world of Harry Potter.
One day as I read this novel for the nth time, I came across a small piece of dialogue that I never seemed to have noticed before. The wise and seemingly omnipotent Albus Dumbledore said, “Let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.” After reading and re-reading this quote and wrangling out all of its juice, I was free. The clouds parted to reveal the soft rays of a resplendent sun. Birds chirped outside of my window. I heard the song “I’d like to teach the world to sing” ooze out of every speaker. Okay, so not really. I’m out of cliché situations, so I’ll just get to the point now. The point is that I knew what to do. Albus told me what to do. I had to get up off my introverted and anti-social butt and craft my own adventure. And although I did not suddenly transform into a charming boy-wizard who dueled evil Lords, I still made substantial changes in my life. I got busy participating. I joined clubs to fight for my own glorious and meaningful causes, like the fight against global hunger. These clubs led me to travel to Haiti, where I will be residing again this spring. I slowly made friends, and if I do say so myself, we made some deplorable mistakes that eventually led to anecdotal adventures!
This novel inspired me to go out and do rather than sit and wait, to make my own adventure. For this, Albus and Harry, I am forever grateful.