My favorite book: Lord of the Flies by William Golding taught me to stay sane even when in the toughest times.

nguyner
Stuck alone on an island, a group of boys must find a way to live together and survive until help can arrive. As time passes by, the walls of civilization are torn down and the boys turn to savages. I was so surprised at how quickly things began to escalate. They soon even resort to violence and kill some of their own. The savage boys are lead by their leader Jack whom represents all the evils and sins of society. Yet, even among all the chaos, there are three characters who remain civilized and do not turn into savages. They are Piggy, Ralph, and Simon.
Piggy, the awkward and chubby kid, yet smart and intellectual is considered the “voice of reason.” With all this killing and violence going on around the island, he adheres to “rules and conventions” of society. He doesn’t sway from living by the book, even as he is about to die. Piggy is the only person who attempts to keep civilization alive on the island. He serves as an example to hold true to your beliefs. Even in the toughest times, you have to stick with what you believe in, but more importantly, what is right.
Ralph, at first is elected the leader of the boys. But as time passes on and the walls of civilization comes crashing down among them, he remains a strong leader, never resorting to violence. He epitomizes the qualities of a true leader. He tries to do what is best for the group rather than himself. But what really inspired me about Ralph is the fact that he too, even falls victim to the savagery of the boys. Although he does not get as savage as the other boys, he still participates in the killing of one of the other boys, Simon. However, he realizes his mistake, that he has really messed up and he does not let it overcome him. Yet, he overcomes it and is able to triumph over the “lord of the flies.” It shows that even a great leader may have weakness and succumb to certain evils, but how he overcomes it shows his true character.
Lastly, there is Simon, who is inevitably killed by the boys. But, what really inspired me about Simon was his moral goodness. He was the nice and quiet boy who felt as if he were “one with nature.” He acted morally not because he was guilty or shameful but because he actually believed in the value of morality. He shows the way to act in life, to do what’s right, to stick with your values and beliefs.
Although, the book has a darker side to it, showing the capacity humans have for evil. The three aforementioned characters outshine this and prove that humans may have the ability to be evil, but he will not be consumed by it. We, as humans, face difficult situations in our lives and can be consumed by it. But we just need to push through, stay sane, and keep going.
Comment by yiyijessicali

good analysis. You can make it even stronger by making biblical connections (of Simon to Christ) and throw in some Freudian elements.
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 2:01:31 AM