STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My favorite book: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins provided a strong, independent role model I desire to resemble.

julianaverhage
It is not an arduous task to come across a good read these days. But to discover a book that makes your heart pound, your heads sweat, your mind race; a book that makes tears pour down your face, makes you moan in frustration, makes you stay up through the night, risking exhaustion just so you can finish the book; that is an exceptionally rare feat to conquer. “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins was that book for me.
I monumentally underestimated this book and how I surmised it would affect me. The storyline takes place in the future in a country known as Panem which is divided into twelve districts separate from the Capitol. In the districts live oppressed, poverty stricken citizens and their family; each district is responsible for manufacturing various foods and technologies to supply the capitol. In strict contrast, the Capitol is home to the wealthy, elite, and most importantly Panem’s dictator; self-proclaimed “President” Snow. Annually at the “Reaping”, one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen are chosen from each district to fight to the death in the Hunger Games, with only one victor coming out in the end.
The main character Katniss Everdeen proves to be not only a character I see myself in, but that I draw inspiration from. Katniss lives with her mother and sister in District 12, the poorest of the Districts of Panem. As a result of her father’s death, her mother is depressed and seemingly incapable of caring for her children. On account of this, Katniss breaks many laws by hunting for her family so they can survive. Katniss’s natural leadership abilities, bravery, and self-reliance immediately stood out to me. Throughout the book Katniss does not let others push her around or conforms to what others want her to be. In the beginning of the novel at the reaping, Katniss’s sister, Prim, is chosen to be a part of the 74th annual Hunger Games but before she can reach the stage, Katniss volunteers to take her place. This exact scene brought me to tears, as Prim strongly resembles my own sister and made me realize I would do the exact same thing if I was in Katniss’s position, without a second thought. The bravery and protectiveness pulsing through me in that moment as I read is one I will not soon forget; it showed a side to me that has never truly been exposed. Katniss’s willingness to put other’s lives before her own is a truly remarkable quality I admire about her character. Self-reliance and individualism have always been a bold part of my personality, and seeing these, along with many more heroine-like qualities, protruded by Katniss has served as an example of the type of person I hope to emulate one day.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go reread my favorite book.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy