STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: "The Prince of Tennis" by Takeshi Konomi inspired me to surpass self-lim

rin_kuang
When I was in fifth grade, I found my life lessons in a different kind of book than most students. On the surface, "The Prince of Tennis" is a graphic novel about a young boy who is determined to become the best tennis player in the world. It seems to be just an easy read, but to me, it is so much more. To me, it is a book about perseverance and tenacity, about surpassing one's limits, and about aiming higher.

At first glance, Ryoma Echizen is a typical grade-school kid with an ambitious dream. Beneath his arrogant demeanor, however, he is constantly plagued by the shadow of his ex-pro tennis player father, by his meager height, and by his young age. When he arrives in Japan with his family, no one knows who he is. When he tries out for the tennis team at his junior high school as a freshman, no one believes he can make it. What makes Ryoma stand out from his peers is not his strong desire to become the best. Rather, it is his decision to cast off his own self-limitations in order to realize his dream. To Ryoma, there are no limits.

Six years later, I still live by the principles that Ryoma and his teammates taught me, and particularly by one line from the first volume: "The master painter makes art with any brush". In Ryoma's case, the brush given to him was one of a small stature and no name. He was placed in a world where his peers scoffed at his ambitions like they ridiculed his height. And yet, he breaks all the barriers and makes waves across the entire nation; with his dusty and impaired brush, Ryoma paints a portrait of himself that no one could ever erase.

Then, just like Ryoma, the brush given to me was not in pristine condition. My parents can barely speak or write in English and do not have education beyond high school. My older sister was away at college on the other side of the nation. At home, I had no one to go to for help on homework, and I often ate dinner alone because my parents were working. The brush in my hands was fragile and worn-out, but it was not incapable of producing something worthwhile. In elementary school, I learned to cook rice and wash dishes. I filled out all the official documents and explained to my parents what they meant. My parents could not help me with my schoolwork, so I learned to be independent. Despite my situation, the picture that I decided to paint for myself was one of a bright future.

"The Prince of Tennis" taught me that through hard work and perseverance, self-limitations are merely stepping stones towards one's ultimate goal in life. Overcoming them is a difficult task, but surpassing them is a testament to one's true ability. Painting with a tattered brush is challenging, but not impossible.
Rate this:
Comment by RBrown201

This is truly inspiring...
<3
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:00:15 PM
Rate this:
Comment by NicoleLVMullis

Well written and well done!

Nicole L. V. Mullis
Raising a Family Editor
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 2:16:51 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy