STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: “A Short History of Nearly Everything” by Bill Bryson changed my view of science

aznxo
“On the outside of an atom, there are electrons. In the center lies the nucleus, which consists of protons and neutrons.” My eighth grade science teacher continued lecturing in this monotonous fashion for the duration of the period. I was relieved when the bell rang because it signaled my freedom from this excruciating boredom.

This feeling was typical for most of my educational career. Science for the most part had been the art of rote memorization and regurgitation. One day I appeared to be an expert biologist and was able to recite the function of every cell organelle. The next week I seemed like an aspiring doctor and was able to name the bones of the human body.

I did not understand why I had to learn about what seemed like insignificant topics. Why did I need to learn that potassium has one valence electron or that the mitochondrion is the site of cellular respiration if I never wanted to be a chemist or a biologist? To me, the emphasis on memorization made science seem pointless.

My perception changed over the spring of the eighth grade when I went on the school-sponsored East Coast trip. During the trip, one of my classmates let me borrow a book, “A Short History of Nearly Everything” by Bill Bryson, to read over the plane trip. I was instantly hooked after reading the first page. The third line goes, “for you to be here now trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you.” I of course already knew this from chemistry, but I had never thought of it that way. Bryson’s description conjured up an image of a whirlwind of atoms spinning to create to create a person and I was fascinated. I was used to the mind-numbing language of science textbooks, so Bryson’s colloquial down-to-earth style captivated me.

“A Short History of Nearly Everything” is a book just as much about history as it is about science. The book explains the various fields of science and their respective origins. I discovered that a lot of science known to man is taken for granted. Many of the fundamental principles of science, such as the theory of relativity, were only discovered within the last century because of the relentless efforts of amazing men and women.

The book also radically changed my view of science as a whole. My favorite chapter is chapter 4, which describes how scientists calculated the diameter of the earth. I realized that science is not just memorizing a bunch of facts, but it is instead an attempt to understand the universe. Newton’s laws were no longer a collection of memorized equations, but instead were now a tool used to understand how the universe works. This revelation gave me a new appreciation of science. After reading the book, I developed a passion for science and stopped trying to blindly memorize and started to try to understand, which is how science should be.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy