My Favorite Book: "Cold Sassy Tree" by Olive Ann Burns gave me a deeper understanding about my faith.

emilynielsen
The first time I read "Cold Sassy Tree" I was shocked by the revelations it contained. The book focuses on a boy named Will growing up in the town of Cold Sassy with his family. His grandfather does not attend church, and is considered to be somewhat of a heretic. However, he is a devout Christian who knows Jesus and is very wise in his interpretations of the Bible. Some of his wisdom is passed down to his grandson when Will asks him questions about life and having faith.
Throughout the book, many of the characters struggle with life. Will sees these struggles and questions his grandfather. He asks, "Grandpa, uh, why you think Jesus said ast the Lord for anything for anything you want and you'll get it?'Ast and it shall be given' the Bible says. But it ain't so" (Burns 98). At first, Grandpa is doubtful that the verse is meant to say what it says. He suggests someone misquoted Jesus or did not understand him. However, he promises to think on it and find an answer. As time passes, Grandpa decides that Jesus must have meant something different than what most people assume because, "Hungry Folks pay for food, but they shore don't all git fed. And sick folks beg for healin', but lots of 'em die"(Burns 361).
Grandpa's wife, Miss Love, has her own opinion about the verse's meaning. She says that sometimes God does not give us things for our own good or because he is trying to teach us something. Grandpa argues that the verse has no restrictions. There is nothing that says "in these conditions." The verse plainly states," Ast and it will be given." Near the end of the book, Grandpa has conceived a theory about the verse's interpretation. He believes that God is not talking about material things, but rather he is talking about spiritual things. For those who have been beaten down by the world, God promises to heal them spiritually. What an amazing promise! In life we face so many problems and see so many people that have beaten down so much that they no longer have hope. I always felt that a loving God was two-faced to forsake people who asked and begged, but never received. Reading this book made me realize that there is always hope for people who appear forsaken. No matter what has happened, or what situation they are in, they can ask God, and they will receive. If it is courage, or patience, or purity, or love, or hope, God will always give it. I apply this promise to my own life and whenever I need help I pray that God will bless me with whatever I need to receive. It is such an amazing promise without restrictions; "Ask and it will be given."