My Favorite Book: "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry inspired me to think

nshender
"The Little Prince" is my favorite book for a number of reasons- it's timeless satire acts as social commentary on everyday life which is applicable to any teen in any part of the world. I first read this book in the second grade and have been reading it every year since. The cover is degraded and the ink faded as if from a war-torn region; I have opened that book so many times it's spine is crooked, and yet every time I read, the book captivates me just the same. With every read I learn more about the author's world view; every time is like a new adventure, like I fall in love all over again. My admiration for the novel is only surpassed by the quantity of coffee stains its tired pages posses.

The Little Prince's distaste for the status quo has inspired me to apply critical thinking to my own life. If it wasn't for this novel, I would never have to the courage or the know-how to stand up for my beliefs. Once, I was in an English lecture and was asked my opinion about certain topics. I knew the teacher was a stickler and I knew exactly the answer he was looking for. However, this teacher asked my personal opinion and I wasn't prepared to tell him only what he'd wanted to hear. I explained my point of view and watched his smile turn into a sneer. How preposterous! A student speaking their own mind. He seemed angry and told me my opinion was wrong because it was not his opinion. Remembering a passage from "The Little Prince", I politely asked my teacher if I could further explain my position by using the chalk board. He allowed me this indulgence, and I sauntered towards the board. There I drew two images. First, I sketched the silhouette of a cowboy hat and asked the teacher what he saw. Confused he replied, "a hat, of course". I smiled and drew my second image: it was the same shape, but this time I drew the outline of a snake on the hat's brim. "While you see a hat, I see a snake inside a predator's belly. Both our answer's are correct, but our interpretations are different. How, sir, could you possibly then tell me my opinion is invalid? It all depends on perspective". The teacher's stared in awe, unsure of how to reply.

Thanks to "The Little Prince", I was able to show my teacher why his stubbornness was wrong. It gave me the confidence and information to speak my own mind.