My favorite book: The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. A book that I pulled an all-nighter to read.

jacobsong
Tick Tock, Tick Tock. Usually when I read a literary classic I am cognizant of the world around me. However, this time it was different. Reading The Three Musketeers from beginning to end, I was completely entranced by how Dumas portrayed the endeavors of musketeers, both glorious triumphs and the heartbreaking losses.
I was first introduced to The Three Musketeers by a small part of an audio reading of the book while I was driving. Listening to the audio recording, I was instantly captivated by the intuitive and adept d’Artagnan, a young man who left his rural town to become a Musketeer in France. I can still imagine the time when d’Artagnan and the three musketeers were about to fight to the death but became good friends after defeating the Cardinals guards together. However, the audio track only covered a small portion of the whole story and left me hanging. Unable to resist, I decided to read the book. I couldn’t have made a better choice. While reading the book, d’Artagnan’s characteristics and travails became more defined and amazing. d’Artagnan was able to sword fight like a veteran, work for the queen on a top secret mission, and beat the mastermind of all the problems of France with her own medicine. His actions never failed to amaze me.
Before I read this book I hated reading, especially classical books, but after, I began to gain an appreciation for the classics. The Three Musketeers also evoked emotions and opinions I usually never feel when I read books. I began to feel hatred toward the antagonists, sadness for the lost and joy when good triumphs over the evil. Although these emotions are important to me, what made this book stand out for me was because the motto of the three musketeers, “All for one and all for one”. This gave me even more respect for the musketeers and also inspired me to integrate it into my life. Up until then, I kept superficial relationships with the people around me and never actually tried to get to know them better. But soon after I read the book, I began to cherish my friends more and also never ever think about deserting them during their times of troubles and failures.
I really thank Alexandre Dumas for creating this masterpiece and hope others will begin to read and enjoy The Three Musketeers.
Comment by yiyijessicali

Great to see you've developed a liking for classics! Good writing!
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 2:04:07 AM