My Favorite Book: Sisters Grimm "The Fairytale Detectives" by Michael Buckley got me to like reading

vickitori

When I was in fifth grade my grandmother gave me "The Fairytale Detectives". Now my grandmother as much as I love her does not have a good track record for finding books that aren't religion related so my first thought was there is no way I am reading that but my mother eventually made me read it. Before this book I never liked reading I am a dyslexic kid reading was difficult and frustrating for me and I have a very short attention span so to sit down a read a book was very hard. Books never really had anything that interested me; nothing that I could say was so good I could not put the book down. This book changed everything on my view of books.
From the very beginning it caught my attention the main character Sabrina Grimm was my age and one day her parent’s disappeared and here she was taking care of herself and her sister running from foster home to foster home. Then all of a sudden a grandmother they never knew they had comes and takes then to a town filled with all the characters from the fairytales. From the day I received that book my outlook on reading changed I no longer looked at reading as a chore, I devoured books from cover to cover in a matter of days. The Sisters Grimm series helped me grow up and become the student I am today. I was very sad to read the last book in this series this year knowing that the books that taught me to love reading were coming to an end was heartbreaking for me. I’ve also learned the benefits of reading and while it is still difficult for me I can never stop.
When I start to get frustrated with reading I go back and read “The Fairytale Detectives” and it reminds me that I can read and I can enjoy it. This is one of those books that you can read again and again. I just never tire of reading this story I love books because of it. The book gives me hope and brings me on an adventure I could on dream of having. When I read a book I’m not merely an innocent bystander I am the main character I feel what they feel, I do what they do, and I see what they see. When I am reading a book the rest of the world does not matter it only what happens in the book.
Books become an escape for me from all the dramas of high school and family. Books are my life now and to think if I never received that book in fifth grade I could be a totally different person from that I am today. Reading has helped my vocabulary and even my writing. In fact now I read much more that I watch TV.