STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: Sisters Grimm "The Fairytale Detectives" by Michael Buckley got me to like reading

vickitori

When I was in fifth grade my grandmother gave me "The Fairytale Detectives". Now my grandmother as much as I love her does not have a good track record for finding books that aren't religion related so my first thought was there is no way I am reading that but my mother eventually made me read it. Before this book I never liked reading I am a dyslexic kid reading was difficult and frustrating for me and I have a very short attention span so to sit down a read a book was very hard. Books never really had anything that interested me; nothing that I could say was so good I could not put the book down. This book changed everything on my view of books.
From the very beginning it caught my attention the main character Sabrina Grimm was my age and one day her parent’s disappeared and here she was taking care of herself and her sister running from foster home to foster home. Then all of a sudden a grandmother they never knew they had comes and takes then to a town filled with all the characters from the fairytales. From the day I received that book my outlook on reading changed I no longer looked at reading as a chore, I devoured books from cover to cover in a matter of days. The Sisters Grimm series helped me grow up and become the student I am today. I was very sad to read the last book in this series this year knowing that the books that taught me to love reading were coming to an end was heartbreaking for me. I’ve also learned the benefits of reading and while it is still difficult for me I can never stop.
When I start to get frustrated with reading I go back and read “The Fairytale Detectives” and it reminds me that I can read and I can enjoy it. This is one of those books that you can read again and again. I just never tire of reading this story I love books because of it. The book gives me hope and brings me on an adventure I could on dream of having. When I read a book I’m not merely an innocent bystander I am the main character I feel what they feel, I do what they do, and I see what they see. When I am reading a book the rest of the world does not matter it only what happens in the book.
Books become an escape for me from all the dramas of high school and family. Books are my life now and to think if I never received that book in fifth grade I could be a totally different person from that I am today. Reading has helped my vocabulary and even my writing. In fact now I read much more that I watch TV.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy