STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My favorite book: “Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger helped me realize that innocence is sacred.

annika.lavina
In the ultimate classic, “The Catcher in the Rye,” Salinger portrays Holden Caulfield, a confused and conflicted teen that seems to only find refuge in his little sister, Phoebe, whom he labels as pure and not “phony.” Through Holden’s eyes, an adult is fake, and Holden wants to “catch” all kids from growing up.

My father’s always challenged me to read books that are above my range, so when he shoved a beige, old book in my face on a breezy Sunday afternoon, I couldn't say I was surprised. I could say, though, that I was disappointed.

The book was practically falling apart, there were rips in the pages, and the font was too small. Everything that wasn't to my liking, I picked at it and yelled at my dad about how stupid this was going to be. He only looked at me with hurt eyes, pointed at “The Catcher in the Rye,” and exited my room.

An hour and a half later, I finished the last page and started crying.

Tears came spilling out of eyes, and I tried my hardest to make myself inaudible. I mean, how embarrassing was that going to be if my parents caught me sobbing?

I realized that Holden was right.

I’d been too preoccupied with dealing with friends, boys, and social media to see that I had been hurting the people around me. I would shove my sister away when she was only trying to help, I would blow up at my parents if they didn't let me go somewhere, and I would act like I was capable of living on my own, when in fact, I was still I kid.

My innocence was slowly fading. I would take behind my friends’ backs. I’d smile at one person one minute and then trash them the next. I’d yell at people for no apparent reason, just to make myself feel superior. I was fake, mean, and phony.

My life had been taken over by the idea of growing up that I didn't realize that I actually was, but not in the way that I wanted to. I was becoming one of the adults in Salinger’s book, someone that was corrupt and only cared about themselves.

I cried even harder when I reread the last few pages, in which Holden was crying when watching how pure Phoebe looked when riding on a carousel.

I want to be pure. I want to be a kid. I want to catch all of the children, just like Holden. It’s impossible, though, because everyone grows up, one way or another, and it’s up to them to figure out if they want to become phony or not.

Salinger helped me understand that being a child is the most important part of your life. Though you’re not making most of your own decisions, it’s when you’re the most pure. It’s when you’re the least phony, and that is something everyone should take pride in.
Rate this:
Comment by SOFLarchive

/Nice essay. I read the classic book too. Congrats on winning!
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:47:28 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy