My Favourite Book: Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockle Taught Me It's Okay To Fall In Love... Again

EatingSkittles
I`ve read many books in the past in all types of genres but for some reason, this particular book written by Sarah Ockle stood out to me the most. I think it's because all the other books that I`ve practically consumed didn't have the same vulnerability that Twenty Boy Summer had because despite what the blurb said, it's not just about falling in love. This novel is about staying strong as a family, building a friendship that not even stones could break, getting over the worst and welcoming the future with open arms.

It doesn't matter where you are- whether at home curled up on your bed with a lamp on or taking refuge at your school library while the rain lashes down on the world- because Twenty Boy Summer is guaranteed to fly you from wherever you are to the beautiful and anticipated Zanzibar Beach in California. I`ve lived in Britain all my life and have no desire to travel but once I read about the annual family vacations the Perino's embark on, I just wanted to drop everything and join them but then reality struck...

Anyway, the characters in this story aren't just fictional people you have to put up with. The more you read, the more pages you turn, you'll realize that those character`s Sarah Ockle made up are your friends. I know it sounds pretty cheesy but when I was forced to stop reading, it felt kind of... empty. I needed to know how Anna was. I didn`t want to leave Frankie and I really wanted to meet Sam even though I knew he didn`t exist.

This book did inspire me to think differently because I had always been the type of person that believes that once you've fallen in love, that's it. You've had your chance, don't blow it! But in actual fact, it's not like that. You fall in love again and again and again and again. You're not doing anything wrong.

I think my family and friends would all agree that Twenty Boy Summer had a huge impact of my life. Nothing drastic that could have changed the world but during that period of time when I was engrossed in this particular book, I dismissed all my homework till 'later' (though 'later' never did arrive) and neglected my ritual duties. My mum wasn't very impressed and I think I almost got a slap from my friends from talking too much about it but that's what happens when you come across a really good novel.

Currently, I`m reading this book for the fifth time since I first brought it and that was only a couple of months ago. But the extraordinary thing is that unlike no other, Sarah Ockle`s story has made me cry, laugh, scream in frustration and curse like a sailor. I fell in love with every character. The Harry Potter Series does not count.