My Favourite Book: ‘The Fault in our Stars’ by John Green made me realize that if you love someone then no matter how much they

olivia.rose
In his award winning novel ‘The Fault in our Stars’, John Green adopts the voice of sixteen year-old Hazel Grace; a teenage girl fighting lung cancer. Green tells the story of Hazel’s battle with the disease and her overbearing parents, who practically force her to go to “Cancer Kid Support Groups”.
Enter Augustus Waters: Hazel’s perfect boy.

As a teenage girl who fell hopelessly in love with Edward Cullen (Twilight) and Peeta Mellark (The Hunger Games) there was never a doubt that I would share the love with Augustus. But when Augustus himself was suddenly diagnosed with having cancer almost everywhere in his body, there were tears; big time.

I spent the last four or five chapters of this novel crying my heart out, and when I finished I just dropped the book and stared off into space for a while. This story is one of the most heartbreaking things I’ve ever read.

It felt as though everything Hazel was experiencing, I was too. When I finally remembered that I wasn’t actually part of the story, and my perfect boyfriend didn’t actually die, I also thought of something else.

Although her Mother may have seemed slightly insane, and although her best friend was really distant towards Hazel, it was because they loved her and didn’t want to lose her. Towards the very end of the book, there's a quote that means so much to me these days and whenever I’m feeling hurt it reminds me that it doesn’t matter if you get hurt by someone you love because at the end of the day, all that matters is that you love them.

“You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world… But you do get some say in who hurts you.”